Close

Angry HELP: Makerbot Replicator 2x issues

Hello-
    I am new to this site!!!
    I am having an issue with our Makerbot Replicator 2x. Running firmware 7.5, Makerbot Desktop 3.5.0.39.
    See pictures below. When I try and print round circular parts, the Y-axis seems shifted and the part comes out somewhat oval shaped. You can see from the picture the circular pattern is shifted or off-set on the left side. This is happening on BOTH extruders in the same area.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Already performed the following:
    1. Calibrated both x-y axis
    2. Tried older version of makerbot software
    3. Cleaned nozzles completely
    4. Checked any loose belts.
    5. Confirmed no-play in any axis.
    6. Put silicone grease on rails.

Attached Images Attached Images

Technician
    Hi
    To me it look like problem with gantry & belts.
    Belts has to be properly tighten and gentry must be in place without wobbling.

Will Try

Quote Originally Posted by Roberto View Post
    Hi
    To me it look like problem with gantry & belts.
    Belts has to be properly tighten and gentry must be in place without wobbling.

Thank you, I will confirm again and update. Everything seems tight with no wobble...but I will confirm again.

I had the same issue when I first got the printer 1.5 years ago. You can find how to tighten the X and Y belts in Makerbot's videos posted in Youtube.

I still don't get perfectly round circles, but it's something that can't be noticed by just looking at it.

Student
    If you are just printing one part the not noticing may be true but if your part is part of an assembly suddenly your model doesn't fit correctly and you are left with the unreasonable expectation of adjusting your model to make up for shortcoming of a 3000.00 machine. Failing grade from this owner but stuck with the problem none the less. I too was fed the standard response of gantry belts and calibrations and still no fix. I own the 2xEXP model and this is just one of the problems I've encountered.

Quote Originally Posted by smc9696 View Post
    Hello-
    I am new to this site!!!
    I am having an issue with our Makerbot Replicator 2x. Running firmware 7.5, Makerbot Desktop 3.5.0.39.
    See pictures below. When I try and print round circular parts, the Y-axis seems shifted and the part comes out somewhat oval shaped. You can see from the picture the circular pattern is shifted or off-set on the left side. This is happening on BOTH extruders in the same area.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Already performed the following:
    1. Calibrated both x-y axis
    2. Tried older version of makerbot software
    3. Cleaned nozzles completely
    4. Checked any loose belts.
    5. Confirmed no-play in any axis.
    6. Put silicone grease on rails.

Hello,

it is so called backlash effect. The belt over tensioning actually can even make the situation worse. Hold the both X belt sides firmly together that the Extruder carriage wont move, then take the carriage with your other hand and try to move it in both sides, you should notice some play within the holder where belt is attached to the carriage. If this is the case, you need to fasten the X belt to its holder firmly so that there would be absolutely no play within the belt and carriage. You can do it using various ways:
    1. Scale the 20mm calibration box from example files in MakerBot Desktop using non Uniform scaling so it passes just between the belt teeth and holder to set the belt in place. Print it and push the printed piece between belt and holder.
    2. Drill the hole through the plastic holder and the X belt together using a 2mm drill. ( Use this option if you are experienced with drilling, because you can damage the belt ) Then use screw to tighten holder and the belt together.
    3. Similar as 1st option, just take some paper and fold it until it firmly passes between belt and carriage holder.

I hope you could understand my solution and it helps you.

Hey sejo, i cant see the pic, but reading your problem i suggest calibrate the nozzles. How? Turn on the printer/utilities/calibrate nozzles and follow the indications.

Quote Originally Posted by KASL View Post
    Hey sejo, i cant see the pic, but reading your problem i suggest calibrate the nozzles. How? Turn on the printer/utilities/calibrate nozzles and follow the indications.
    I think he has already done that

Yes, maybe.

Student

Regarding backlash

Quote Originally Posted by sinful View Post
    Hello,

it is so called backlash effect. The belt over tensioning actually can even make the situation worse. Hold the both X belt sides firmly together that the Extruder carriage wont move, then take the carriage with your other hand and try to move it in both sides, you should notice some play within the holder where belt is attached to the carriage. If this is the case, you need to fasten the X belt to its holder firmly so that there would be absolutely no play within the belt and carriage. You can do it using various ways:
    1. Scale the 20mm calibration box from example files in MakerBot Desktop using non Uniform scaling so it passes just between the belt teeth and holder to set the belt in place. Print it and push the printed piece between belt and holder.
    2. Drill the hole through the plastic holder and the X belt together using a 2mm drill. ( Use this option if you are experienced with drilling, because you can damage the belt ) Then use screw to tighten holder and the belt together.
    3. Similar as 1st option, just take some paper and fold it until it firmly passes between belt and carriage holder.

I hope you could understand my solution and it helps you.
    ty for the info...it didn't fix that problem.