Close

Incredible 3D Printed Swimsuit

Nadir Gordon, a Fashion and Textile Design student at Universidad de Palermo in Argentina, sought to make her thesis project stand out. So she turned to 3D printing to represent the future of fashion, designing a one-of-a-kind 3D printed swimsuit. Based on the concept of the ocean, the project, "Waves," was helped in its inception by Panama-based 3D generalist Jonathan Guerra. The swimsuit was designed in Sketchfab, then exported into Makerware and printed on Guerra's MakerBot Replicator 2 in 14 parts, in about 70-90 total hours of printing time. Guerra and Gordon hope to introduce a 2.0 version of "Waves" in the future, using what they've learned in this first version. Read more about this impressive design project in the full article: http://3dprint.com/48951/3d-printed-swimsuit/

Below is a photo of a model wearing the "Waves" swimsuit:

Technologist
    Add truly_bent on Shapeways
    Apparently, she broke this suit up into 14 pieces, printed those, and then soldered them together with a soldering iron. The suit broke at a few of these soldered spots. Why not just sew or stitch the separate pieces along those seams with some type of thread (nylon fishing line maybe)? It would probably have been quicker and would certainly have been stronger and more flexible.

Okay, now i'm asking myself why i should care about fashion design anyway. Maybe i have a weakness for hot models

Yeah, perhaps sewing it with fishing line would have worked better. Tie some bate to the line while in the Ocean and you may get free dinner as well Pretty cool piece. Doubt we will see these on South Beach any time soon

Senior Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by truly_bent View Post
    Okay, now i'm asking myself why i should care about fashion design anyway. Maybe i have a weakness for hot models
    This is a weakness, I'm screwed.