Close

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

PinrtrBot Metal Plus or Lulzbot Taz 5?

So I am in the market for a new (larger build area) printer. THe metal plus at 10 x 10 x 10 is as small as id like to go, but the lulz is a little bigger.
    Obviously the lulz is also twice the cost.
    I would get the heated bed version of the metal plus. so its $1199, vs $2199.

Anyone have thoughts either way? its a large chunk of change difference, but if its worth it, lets talk about it and ill make the case
    thanks guys and gals.

Engineer-in-Training
    That's a good question, the Plus looks to be the clear cut winner in terms of price to capabilities ratio. However, it's relatively new to the market, and there are still kinks being worked out in its design. If you're looking for users on different forums, there's still not as much talk of it yet due to its recent release.

The Taz however has been around for quite some time, but I would argue that it's probably one of the most well engineered printers in the market, and with it being open sourced, has tons of upgrades and user support behind it too....

having had a Printrbot, their Twitter support is great, their guides are good, but occasionally you might be missing a screw or two in your kit, it's hard to argue with their prices though. If you have the budget, go for the Taz, if not, the Printrbot....if you're looking for an project and something to tinker with, get a MakerFarm Prusa i3

Thank you for the response Ryan I am also ryan....

So really at the end of the day, I do have the money for the Taz... That doesnt mean I wouldnt like to spend 500-700 less for something pretty comparable.
    I actually just ran across the creatorbot-3d... Which has a 12x12x12 build volume and has only recently begun shipping. There is just NO information out there about them.
    I would hope if i went with the printrbot, since its assembled (the metal plus) that i wouldnt have any missing screws

I LOVE the z probe leveling option on the printrbots, that is really cool.

Man this is a really tough decision.

So im not afraid of a kit, at all... I just want something that can print QUALITY pieces, and large volume... So if the 12x12x12 prusa i3 can? i may consider it

Technician
    I wavered for months on which printer to get. And it got worse as new models / manufactures came to market. Best of luck with your decision.

Chris... what did you end up getting? and are you happy with it?

Technician
    I picked up a dremel ideal builder, its basically a re-branded falshforge creator pro without the heated build plate and only 1 extruder.

We picked up a 2014 Series 1 at work and that made me pull the trigger. I went with this model for the simple fact I could pick it up at my local home depot.

Even though I had been looking / pondering for awhile, I'd definitely consider it an impulse buy

I am very happy with the printer. Dremel has been quick to respond and help with any of my questions. We ended up buying another dremel for the shop. Over all I believe I have put 130 hours on both machines with good results.

As much as I like it, it wouldn't be prudent for me to recommend it to you base on the print area you are looking for. The dremel's print area is 9x6x5.5

Thanks for the response... I already own a FF creator pro and i love it.. i think its a fantastic printer for the money... this time i need quality/volume
    thanks

Technician
    I'd say FF did an awesome job just and the clones are proving it.

The series 1 we have is great. 12x12x12.....but more expensive than the Taz. and does not have a heated bed nor dual extruders. We went with the series 1 because of the build area and at the time, it was the only system we could get next day.

Yeah, my largest customer requires abs on their prints, so I definately need to keep that in mind.
    I really think the taz is the best quality build, options, etc, but i cant help but to think the printrbot metal plus has a good price/performance mark.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast