Close

Student
    Follow Shieldse On Twitter Add Shieldse on Facebook

Dual Extrusion Help

Hey guys,

Are there any videos out there that can walk me through the steps to create a dual extrusion model? I know that i have to create 2 stl's and put them into an amf file but i do not know how to do that. Any videos showing this from the beginning? I just bought a dual extruder and tried creating a dual extrusion file but I'm lost. Thanks in advance for the help

Engineer-in-Training iDig3Dprinting's Avatar
    Follow iDig3Dprinting On Twitter Add iDig3Dprinting on Facebook Add iDig3Dprinting on Google+ Add iDig3Dprinting on Thingiverse
    It will depend on what software you are using. I don't believe that it is necessary to create an .AMF file as most slicer software have the capability to merge .STL files for dual extrusion printing. So I would suggest looking at the instructions for dual extrusion printing for you particular software set up.

Student
    Follow Shieldse On Twitter Add Shieldse on Facebook
    I use autodesk 123D Design for the design portion and Slic3r for the slicing. And that may be but I havent found any documentation yet on how to create those or a process to do so.

If you're using Slic3r, first read this part of the manual: http://manual.slic3r.org/expert-mode/multiple-extruders - the important bit is at the end of the page.

If you want to successfully create an AMF file that will have each extruder print in the correct position, you need to remember that Slic3r will center each individual STL file and lower it until the first part of each STL starts on the bed. If you have one STL that needs to start in mid-air, you'll need to create an additional part of each STL that will print at the base. I realise this makes no sense at all, but take a look at the STLs for this traffic cone on thingiverse: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:21773/#files - the white and orange traffic cone STLs each have parts that print in mid air, but also each start on the printed bed.

So, if you want to successfully create an AMF file, you'll need to create an STL file for each colour with an understanding of how Slic3r will organise them on the print bed.

Simplify 3D merges the processes of the 2 STLs without need to have some part of it at Z0.
    You can find the explanation here : https://www.simplify3d.com/support/t...ple-extruders/

Student
    I've been using Makerware for my FFC. Works great!

I use SolidWorks and Flashprint. I used SolidWorks to put two parts together to make an assembly. I saved the assembly as STL, using the option to make separate files for each part. Then I loaded each stl file into the printer software. They had the same relationship or mating as they did in the assembly. I specified an extruder for one model (STL file) and the other extruder for the other model. If you need to rotate or move the models, they must be moved together or the same way.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    Makerware is pretty good, but the wiper walls make it take 3 times as long to print.

Can't get simplyfi3d to either print anything with my right extruder (if I try single extrusion) - or maintain temps if using dual extrusion.
    Makerware does work, just don't like the wiper walls.