Close

Any way to use rotary encoders?

Hello everyone... first time here.

I was wondering if it was possible to use rotary, or even linear encoders for position feedback?

I am currently using an Azteeg X3 for the controller with Repetier Host, if that makes any difference.

Thanks

Engineer-in-Training
    Short answer, yes. Longer answer, you'd likely need to alter the firmware to accept that input and then do something with it. I have no idea what all this would involve, your current controller board may not support any additional inputs and the changes to the firmware may be so large that you'd be better off writing all new code to run the machine. BUT, the basic idea is sound and with enough work could be made to function.

Technologist
    Add truly_bent on Shapeways
    There is a thread on this board about using DC motors with an encoder feedback. The thread was started by someone posting a YouMagine page link about just what you're talking about. Probably a good starting point.
    Last edited by truly_bent; 03-04-2015 at 08:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by truly_bent View Post
    There is a thread on this board about using DC motors with an encoder feedback. The thread was started by someone posting a YouMagine page link about just what you're talking about. Probably a good starting point.

Great thanks, that's a great link.