Close

Question XYZPrinting da Vinci Junior printing resolution question

Hello and good evening. I have a question to ask from the perspective of a novice 3D printer hobbyist point of view.

Back in January you announced that XYZPrining announced at #CES2015 their new da Vinci Junior 3D Printer here.

With price tag of $350. The printers build volume isn't the largest but the specs and price tag and all-in-one-ness out the box along with refillable filament cartridges and XYZPrinting's proven track record make it a very attractive 3D printer for hobbyists to schools, educational facilities, universities alike. That said, by the release date in March, I'm thinking there will be other new 3D printers on the same market with the same technology and price tag like the Printrbot Simple Maker also $349 but it is the 3d printing technology type and printing resolution that the da Vinci Junior 3D printer has that interests me the most.

Very like the Noble 1.0 3D Printer. As we know this is definitely a SLA 3D printer capable of printing at a resolution of 25 microns via SLA Stereolithography technology using liquid resin and cured by ultraviolet light for a much finer print.
    However can you confirm that the da Vinci Junior uses FFF printing technology and if so what is the printing resolution? I mean I know it does, you can see it's an FFF printer. That's what it comes down to at the end of the day for me.

If FFF printers are the inkjets of 3D printers. Then SLA printers are the laser printers of 3D printers.

Thanks and cheers and best regards.

Student
    Add taskman on Facebook Add taskman on Google+ Add taskman on Thingiverse
    Hi

From my knowledge FDM printers normally have a resolution of around 400 micron X/Y and then many can print at 100 micron Z, depending on material, with the standard nozzle that most printers come out with.

I read once the Formlabs printer laser is a 200 micron laser, not sure if that is true, because they are able to print really high detail. I believe the Formlabs can print 50 micron Z, probably also down to 25 micron Z
    http://formlabs.com/support/faq/

DLP printers using HD projectors can print 35 micron X/Y (depending on the physical machine design), also depends on the resin I would say and normally also 25 micron Z or better.

Question is really, what is your budget? Your normally get what you pay for, not always, but normally. One of my clients bought a cheap DLP on Aliexpress and he is now stuck with an old version of Creation workshop and took him a month to get the machine to print.

Thanks. Still not been able to confirm. Might actually ask xyzprinting. I think it will be a 100 micron FDM printer as well but it would be really nice if it was anything less like a 50 or 25 micron or better.

Budget is not a problem so high quality with performance track record is more important. It would be nice if they could make and release a compact allinone SLA 3D printer that can do z at 10 micron.

Just to confirm. 10 microns = 0.01mm right? (0.010000mm)
    As 1.0mm = 1000.00 microns.

So 100 microns = 0.1mm
    50 microns = 0.05mm
    25 microns = 0.025mm
    10 micron = 0.01mm

Student
    Your numbers are correct
    My Chrome is setup to search using Google so I just type in "=10 microns to mm" in the address bar and it converts it for me

If you are not in a hurry, I am working on building 4 beta machines this month and I am sending them to a couple different people around the world to test and review. If they are all happy then at least you can see reviews from real people. It is still going to be a couple months before I will release. If you are willing to buy a beta machine we can talk about it. All parts that need to be reworked during the beta will be replaced for free. This is what I am looking at for pricing http://3dprintboard.com/showthread.p...ll=1#post49463

My printer can go down to 10 micron, you might just need a thin resin or heat the resin more. Probably no need to go that low. If you look at the castle I printed at 3cm tall (1.18110236 inches) you can see the detail. That was printed at 35 micron X/Y and 50 micron Z. I read posts on the B9 Creator forums and the guys there also print in the range of 50 micron Z and these guys make great looking detailed rings

Sounds good but not sure that's what I'm after. Not to say you're not reputable but if all goes to pot and you go bankrupt or something then I have no leeway or nothing to fall back on so to speak.
    Unless you wanted to send me one for free lol

But probably by then I would have the da Vinci Junior 3D printer or may have even made my own PrintrBot by then from the Simple Makers Kit.
    Check out this on building a PrintrBot Simple Makers kit. That's more the sort of thing I'm thinking of doing.

I sent a message to XYZPrinting. They haven't responded yet.
    Fast customer service is what I look for and being ignored or not answered kinda puts me off so we will have to see..

Cheers!

Student
    Makes sense. Working hard to get the first prototypes out so that people can start testing them.

Which country are you in? I will have 2 machines in the US, 1 in Australia and 1 in NZ

I'm in the cold and wet lands of England mate. Would love to test one for you if you wanted to send here.

So your printers are SLA?

Student
    Can't promise anything, lets see how it goes

My printers are top-down DLP printers. I am hoping DLP is less problematic than the SLA printers. I read where people have alot of issues with the lasers, seems to be a hit or miss type thing. Also the top-down means no issues with replacing the vat so less cost long term. I guess we will see how it goes.