Close

Stratasys ASA Vs ABS - A True Test

While Stratasys expects their new ASA material to triumph over ABS, there’s really no better way to tell than to test it out with a side-by-side comparison with 3D printed models. Because ASA offers greater strength and UV stability, it was important to try an outdoor test comparison, so the engineers from CADD Edge designed and 3D printed two birdhouses, one in each material, and mounted them outside — left to fend for themselves throughout the entire New England winter. Facing brutal winds and heavy snows, the birdhouses will be left until spring, and assessed hopefully in spring as they have birds nesting in them. Find out more about the comparison test in the full article: http://3dprint.com/46677/stratasys-a...abs-filaments/

Below is a photo of a 3D printed birdhouse from the comparison:

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    Presumably this isn't a filament but powder based material ?

Both materials used are FDM (filament). The pic in the first post shows the parts on the build tray with the soluble support material visible. Just soak the part to remove the supports and you are good to go.

So what happened to the real world test? I could not find any results.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    seems a weird test but all they are doing is leaving the stuff outside:
    the birdhouses will be left until spring, and assessed hopefully in spring
    The asa stuff sounds remarkably like innofil's pro 1
    The bests stuff to print I've ever used. Just a shame it's only currently sold in the uk by a firm with very high p&p costs.

I just received two spools of ASA Formfutura ApolloX and the material properties look great on paper. Looking really forward to print with it.

Anyway, since the New England winter of 2005 has passed by a long time ago I am curious how both materials fared outdoors.