Close

New Affordable Modeling Program OpenSight 3D

I just launched my landing page for my new 3D modeling program coming out this year. www.opensight3d.com You can sign up to receive updates and a discount off the Kickstarter price. Signing up also gives you the opportunity to vote on the features you want most. I am really looking to partner with the 3D printing community to find out what you need most in a 3D modeling program. Thanks!
    Steve

Technologist
    Add truly_bent on Shapeways
    - "Open" usually implies open source, but i'm assuming yours isn't open in that sense (or you wouldn't be charging for it).
    - I found nothing on Kickstarter under "opensight", and so have no idea what your idea of "affordable" is going to look like.

Simplified mesh editing (adding, deleting, filling, patching, etc) would be high on my priority list. Make it simple - more like MS Paint and less like Meshlab.

Thanks for the response! Actually I would like to be open source and for profit. You can see an example like that with the Omnigraph graphics program for Mac. I think good programs should provide the most value to the user. I don't think restricting them in how they use the software benefits anyone. These days it is easy enough to steal a program if that is what you want to do. I haven't launched my Kickstarter project yet. I want to get more feedback first so I know exactly what and how to present once I am ready for that step. Ideally my program will be open source in that if you buy a license you get the source code after your agree to only use it personally or release your additional code back to the community with no copyright or something like that.

With my comment about open source though... some of the libraries of code I might use might be proprietary in order for me to make the best program possible. However, that wouldn't restrict me from making all the code I write open source. Currently the C3D geometry kernel (proprietary) seems like it would be a good choice but I haven't tested it yet. I actually have a lot of ideas about how to get the community more involved in the program from add-ons users could sell or give away in an online market place to donating a percentage of each sale to a fund that the community of an open source project could vote on how they want to use...

I think affordable for a 3D modeling program means less than $100 for a perpetual license. I am open to input on that as well though!

Steve