Close

Add HMMurdock on Thingiverse

3D Printed Life Size Eevee (Pokemon) W.I.P

I wanted a place to document my progress on printing and finishing this model. I apologize if this isn't the right place for it. Couldn't find a better spot..

Anyway. I have been stuck trying to figure out what to get my girlfriend for her birthday.. Then I remembered I had a 3D printer, and that she loves pokemon.. So I test printed a small pikachu figure, that I then Vapor Smoothed, Painted and gave to her just cuz.. She loved it. But I wanted to take that one step further.. My original Idea was to make a life size Pikachu statue (1' 4") But then I realized her favorite pokemon was a whole 4" shorter, So it'd be easier to print and it'd be better since it's her favorite.. So I was lucky enough to find a 3D model of Eevee.. Split it up into 14 seperate parts and I started to work.. I've got 1 part done and the other half of the ear printing as I type.. I'm printing on a Da Vinci 1.0a with Repetier 0.92. Slicing with Slic3r..

1 half of the head took 7h 30 min and 48,509mm of plastic. I'm using this green color because I found it doesn't print the best, and I'll be going over the whole thing with sandpaper and bondo anyway to finish it up so it's not a huge deal.. I could teak the infill settings to knock back the time and plastic use but I think it's at a good range as it is..

A few seconds after taking that picture, I dropped it and broke off it's ear.. I had just whipped up a batch of ABS Slurry so I quickly welded it back into place and is good as new.. The total cost of that part is roughly $5.60 if calculated using Da Vinci 1.0 Cartridges..

If anyone has some tips or tricks with making large assemblies like this I'd love to hear them! Would help out a ton. Thanks! ~Capt. "Howling Mad" Murdock
    Attached Images Attached Images

Engineer
    How much infill? I'm currently printing a 14 part thing myself, with about 10% infill, 2 shells.

Quote Originally Posted by Bassna View Post
    How much infill? I'm currently printing a 14 part thing myself, with about 10% infill, 2 shells.
    5%, 2 shells. For some reason I thought I was at 15% but I just checked and it's 5.. I probably shouldn't go any lower than that now that I think about it..

Here's my update for today..

Did a bit of sanding on the parts.. Got half the tail done and welded on the rest of the ear.. Currently printing is the tip of the other ear and the bottom of the tail.. I merged a few of my slices back together since they would fit on the bed. Should reduce print time dramatically.

2/22/15 - Printed the top and bottom half of the tail and welded them together. Also printed out the right ear tip since there was room on the bed for it to fit.. (not pictured)

2/23/15 - Have 30 minutes left on the other half of the head.

with 3 hours left on the print for the Front legs I ran out of filament and it clogged up my nozzle.. I accidentally popped the print off the bed in my frustration..

I've unclogged the nozzle and am starting the print over again, But this time in black since I'm all out of that nasty olive color.. It didn't print very nice either.. I'm also running it at 200% speed as a test to see if It will still come out good at those speeds. Which would take a 7 hour print down to 3 hours.. I have also managed to weld the other half of the head and ear together..

I copy and pasted my updates from the RPF to save some time.

Super Moderator
    Hey, did you ever complete this? I'd like to see what the final result was like.