Close

Replicator 2 - Print Layers Misaligned

Hi everyone,

I have searched all over the internet to try to fix the issues I'm having with my MakerBot Replicator 2. I purchased it in May 2014. Its been about 2 weeks now and nothing I have tried seems to work. If anyone has had this issue or knows how to resolve it I would really appreciate the info. Makerbot support just told me to pay $100 or they cannot respond to my question (and later on just stopped responding all together) so I am continuing to search online for a fix.

What is happening is whenever I print, the layers get misaligned very early on in the print and almost always move toward the right of the build plate. Usually the raft prints fine and then after about 5-10 minutes the build really starts messing up. Lately it seems to be messing up even during the raft. When it shifts it makes like a tugging noise. Also after the shift the extruder part can touch the axis sensor and even though it pressed against it, it will just keep printing. I have tried using different models, as well as the calibration test models from Makerbot but none of these worked, The models are fine though. Im a 3D artist, I've checked the models and they are every clean. Some are the same ones I've printed in the past. No models work and they are clean so I know that isn't the issue. It seems that the hardware is the issue. I have 2 links below of videos I took of it happening so you can see what I mean.

Layer Skipping
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRC_uMQ5WOE

Sensor
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGobko18tPY

What I have tried to fix this (in order of what I tried first):

- Leveling the Build Plate
    - Adding Lube and cleaning Machine
    - Resetting Default Settings
    - Tightening the Pulleys as I saw in a video (they were already tightened to the max)
    - Tightened other stuff on the machine in case they were loose
    - Unplugged the power supply and the chips on each of the axis and re plugged them (I usually do that to fix the heating errors)
    - Reloaded Firmware (7.3)
    - Tried a newer Firmware (7.5)
    - Printed with Old & New Makeware software & ReplicatorG
    - Printed from SD & Direct from Computer
    - Enabled/Disabled Steppers (though I'm not to sure what its for, I think it was for acceleration :s)

I really don't know what else to try at this point. I needed to print a few things and I have not been able. Iv'e wasted over 2 spools of plastic in the last few weeks. if anyone has any info I would really appreciate it!

Thanks
    Ryan

I would send an email to fargo3dprinting.com as they do repairs. I mailed them my print head once and they fixed it.

I think that's just the standard ribbon cable issue isn't it? Specifically the one attached to the stepper motor which moves along on the top. See if you can replicate the noise in jog mode by moving around the areas you normally see it. Makerbot will send you a new ribbon cable - they did me anyway.

Now somebody answer my question please