Close

Recording time lapse video of your builds ?

Good morning... I am curious as to how folks are doing time lapse videos of your projects?
    I have a few cameras for this, but im sure I can improve upon it greatly.

1. I have a raspberry pi with camera mounted inside my build chamber. I dont have octoprint configured to take time lapse (ill have to look it up) because the camera isnt positioned right yet.
    2.. I have a Liquid Image ego camera as well (go pro competitor) which i just dont really like... seems flaky and splits videos etc.

Am i best off getting a go pro and doing it that way? I dont mint biting the bullet if it will give me the best bang for my buck.

Thanks folks

The raspberry pi camera isn't that great and doesn't deal well with low light conditions. You'll get much better video quality from a GoPro.

Yeah, i definately know i will get a lot better video from a go pro, but do i want to invest hundreds of dollars when i have something too.. i dont know that the quality of a time lapse 3d printed video is all that important to people.
    its a tough choice, as id love to go pro for everyday use (fishing, hunting, fapping (kidding).

Follow Davo On Twitter Add Davo on Facebook Add Davo on Google+ Add Davo on Shapeways Add Davo on Thingiverse
    We have a built in button called "snap layer", which will use whatever camera you select to take an image everytime a new layer is announced in the gcode, and label each one as layernumber.jpg in a folder with the gcode file as the name. I don't know if other software has this feature.

i decided to just use my liquid image ego to make this work... i just have to print a good mount for it.

Engineer-in-Training
    Add Wolfie on Thingiverse
    I dream of the day when we will be discussing how to slowmo video the build process so we can see how it made it

Student
    My [not so] smartphone is really old, but it takes time lapse video. It is a Samsung Nexus S [not a Galaxy, mind you!], and the latest OS version it can run is Jellybean. I've seen the later versions and they seem to not include time lapse, so if you can perhaps find some cheapie old smartphone which has this capability, then i'd say that's your best bet.

Engineer-in-Training
    Add Wolfie on Thingiverse
    My Motorola Droid X2 doesn't do that best I can figure. There are plenty of android apps on the market though. One of those should do the trick. Don't know if I would want to park my phone there for 10hrs though.

I have a Nikon D7000 and a CameraAxe controller. I mainly use the CameraAxe as a strobe trigger for stop action photography:

Shot using a D7000, multiple strobes, CameraAxe and modded ballistic sensor. The egg was dropped and passed through the ballistic sensor which then calculated the velocity of the egg. The CA then calculated the time to wait for the egg to travel to the pan before firing the strobes to catch it as it hit.

The CameraAxe can be set up as a timelapse trigger as well. Heck its an Arduino so you can program it to do whatever. Anyway, it has a free-run timer mode so you can program the interval as well as the number of shots if you wish.

I wouldn't recommend this specifically for this purpose only though. Heck , $2000 for a camera, $1800 for the lens, $500 for the tripod (and 2x SB-910s and an Einstein e640, $1500 worth of strobes) and head and another $190 for the CameraAxe takes it out of the ballpark for most people. The strobes you wouldn't need for print timelapse though. And the D7000 isn't $2k anymore but it was when I bought it. But if you have the camera gear, well, there ya go

I haven't done any 3d printing yet (kit on order....), but I have dabbled in time lapse videos with my JVC GZ-E10 sd video camera that I picked up at Best Buy a couple years ago for under $100. It has the option for various time lapse video settings. I thought I would attempt to make some videos of the printer when (if) I get it up and running.

For the time being, here's a couple links to a few time lapse videos I've made with the JVC camera.

1 frame/80 seconds of pumpkins growing

1 frame/second setting up pop-up camper

1 frame/2 seconds mowing lawn

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    I have a Nikon D7000 and a CameraAxe controller. I mainly use the CameraAxe as a strobe trigger for stop action photography:
    Shot using a D7000, multiple strobes, CameraAxe and modded ballistic sensor.....
    Very nice shot! That setup is way over my head, but I have always wanted to play with setting off a flash involving a pellet gun and an egg...
    (sorry for being off topic)

Quote Originally Posted by cohocarl View Post
    I thought I would attempt to make some videos of the printer when (if) I get it up and running.
    I got the printer built and have printed a few parts. A few good...a few bad, but I'm learning.

I got out the video camera just after I started this print and set it up for 1 frame per second over about 1.5 hours. Due to the bed moving, this video will give you a head ache, but @ 2:40 in, I have a still view of the print, then real time at the end.