Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Senior Engineer
    Roll a 50mm wide length of aluminium foil round one end then slide it over the one to be joined, make sure they are firmly touching and heat it. Apply a bit of pressure to make sure they are together but not enough to make the foil spread. That is how I join filament and as long as it melts then it should stick together.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    so what do you heat the foil with ?

Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    so what do you heat the foil with ?
    A lighter ?

That's a good one, I'll definitely try it.

Senior Engineer
    I use one of those lighters that has a proper flame, small blowtorch type thing for pipes or a small blowtorch. A gas cooker will do it just fine provided you don't set your fingers on fire, well it will probably work even if you do set your fingers on fire but you may regret it.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    got one of those :-)
    i will try it.
    cheers

Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    reason being I've got a few short lengths that I'd quite like to glue together.

making jigs to cut at the same angle and glue cleanly are pretty straightforward.

But I need to use a solvent as the joint has to go through the extruder/hotend.

Any ideas ?
    Preferably solvents that are easy to get hold of and won't cause me to instantly sprout tumours :-)
    Hi, i m on the same wagon.I read about the epoxy smooth on has for top coating the prints.it works on ninjaflex try it to glue the parts maybe it works if you apply the epoxy on both surfaces and then attach them to each other before it hardens it has 10 minutes working time, amount and an other solution is to use a 3d printing pen to extrude ninjaflex

Senior Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by Odys View Post
    Hi, i m on the same wagon.I read about the epoxy smooth on has for top coating the prints.it works on ninjaflex try it to glue the parts maybe it works if you apply the epoxy on both surfaces and then attach them to each other before it hardens it has 10 minutes working time, amount and an other solution is to use a 3d printing pen to extrude ninjaflex
    I suspect that would irretrievably block your nozzle.

Quote Originally Posted by Mjolinor View Post
    I suspect that would irretrievably block your nozzle.
    There are 3d pens that can print with ninjaflex so i dont see the reason to block the nozzle.If you refer to the epoxy coating used as adhesive that you apply after in the surfaces of the printed objects that you want to glue.

Senior Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by Odys View Post
    There are 3d pens that can print with ninjaflex so i dont see the reason to block the nozzle.If you refer to the epoxy coating used as adhesive that you apply after in the surfaces of the printed objects that you want to glue.
    This thread is about joining pieces of filament before use so that you can use all the bits you have about the place and your suggestion is not a good solution for that. The epoxy would trash the nozzle.

Quote Originally Posted by Mjolinor View Post
    This thread is about joining pieces of filament before use so that you can use all the bits you have about the place and your suggestion is not a good solution for that. The epoxy would trash the nozzle.
    O sorry my bad you are right

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast