Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Can't work out what's wrong.. sloppy prints

Hey,
    I've had my printer for a couple of days, it's a "WANHAO DUPLICATOR 4X"

I've printed a few smaller items now but they always seem rather messy, or misshapen.

Here are some pictures and the settings I used.

I'm using ABS.

Anyone have any clues as to where I'm going wrong?

Thanks

That spaghetti at the bottom of the chin is aggravated by no support. But with that said, the angle there doesn't seem so sharp that it should cause this.

Thanks for the reply, I did another print with external support, but it was only slightly cleaner looking.

Technologist
    Add bshadown on Thingiverse
    check your temperature, sometimes the colorant on the filament requieres more heat to extrude properly and try adding support, add at least 5 or 10 extra deggres on your extruder it might improve the overall print

I've increased temps and added support, unfortunately on removing the supports (which are extremely difficult to remove and make a complete mess of the design) the feet and eyebrows broke off.

I'm running the extruder at 230c and the build plate at 110c

Banned
    What is your print speed? The face of the character looks fine, just the ears and chin need support.

Thanks for the reply, very stressed out with the printer at the moment, I'm very close to throwing it out the 3rd floor window.

The speeds are:
    extruding speed, 90mm's
    speed while traveling 150 mm's

I'm also finding that the supports are making a complete mess of the designs, anything that's meant to be smooth is being wrecked.
    I removed the supports in the mid section with clippers using quite a lot of force, but then easily snapped the feet off with my fingers.

Banned
    I feel your pain, I went through the same thing with my printer jason and it was not easy. Just keep reading and digging and with patience you will be making quality prints. I think maybe your having the same problem I am, my supports are getting really stuck to the print itself and ripping pieces of it off. Have you tried printing slightly cooler to see if that keeps the support from really baking on to the main piece? I don't know if that will work but its worth a try.

Well, I'm slowly getting there.
    I tried a few different things, my settings are back to the way they were the extruder at 230c and the build plate at 110c, but I slowed the extruding speed to 50mm's and travelling speed to 75mm's.

The supports came off a little easier with this design, but I'm going to lower the extruder temp by 5's each print to hopefully make the supports more brittle.

The only thing I don't like is the back... it's messy and gets worse the more I pick at it, what could be causing this mess, is it normal and can it be fixed?

Well I lowered the temp by just 5 and the print base came away from the heat plate
    Last edited by jasonorme666; 02-15-2015 at 05:16 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast