Close

Formfutura ClearScent Filament

Formfutura, based in the Netherlands, is poised to announce the availability of a new line of 3D printing ABS filament called ClearScent. The new filament, available in 1.75 mm and 2.85 mm and three different transparent hues, is unique in that it provides not only elegant color to more transparent 3D printed models, but is odorless so that makers are not annoyed and stifled by fumes while working. They plan to produce more colors shortly for ClearScent. Find out more about Formfutura's announcement in the full article: http://3dprint.com/43980/formfutura-...cent-filament/

Below is a look at ClearScent's initial color offerings:

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    well it's interesting - and I guess people do get their knickers in a twist about the smell of abs.

But to me it's the least annoying thing about it. the warp and shrinkage would be the main thing I cared about.

If you don't wnat the smell - then use pla or pet. Problem solved.

Engineer-in-Training
    Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    well it's interesting - and I guess people do get their knickers in a twist about the smell of abs.

But to me it's the least annoying thing about it. the warp and shrinkage would be the main thing I cared about.

If you don't wnat the smell - then use pla or pet. Problem solved.
    It's not always as simple as that, because choosing a different material means trading a lot more than just one property. If you need something to not melt in a car, PLA won't do the job. ABS also has a lot higher impact resistance. Maybe PET will do though. An enclosure can help with the smell and warp problems.

Also, some ABS is a lot worse than others for smell. So different blends of even the same general type of material can change what you get.