Close

Thread: Buildtak users?

Question Buildtak users?

Anyone here using Buildtak on their print bed for ABS builds? I'm wondering how effective it is--how often do you have to replace it, do you get air bubbles under it, do you need to put anything additional on the surface, how good is the adhesion, etc. Looking for a permanent replacement for kapton with ABS slurry.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    dargonfly was using it quite succesfully.
    I presume these days he's doing more printing than talking about printing :-)

wouldn't hurt to drop him an email though.

Technician
    Yes it works well with ABS and PLA - I have mine on top of glass (to remove the original warping of the shipped bed)
    Adhesion is perfect. ABS I usually use a raft still, depends on the part - if its a thin/small edge in contact then it is nearly always going to come free regardless of surface. PLA just on it's own no rafts (40 degree bed temp - translates to around 35 at the surface through the glass and the Buildtak from what I found with my temperature testing - was concerned the two would insulate too well)
    ABS I just leave at 100 degrees - no issues so far with it sticking.

Only thing I haven't tried is Ninjaflex on it - I am a little worried with that one as it sticks like glue to anything else! But I did buy two Buildtak plates just in case.

No air bubbles at all - when fitting it its not really like a screen protector or kapton - it is far more stiff than that so pushes the air out rather than bubbling. I just used a credit card with a bit of cloth over the edge of it.

I have been printing consistently for the last few weeks and mainly using the middle of the printer, it shows no signs of letting go of the prints as of yet. Only thing I have done with it is a quick wipe with alcohol swabs I used before on Kapton etc.
    I would avoid anything too sharp for removing items though as you could scuff/flatten the surface potentially. Usually I once the part is cool enough to handle it comes off by hand only.