Close

3d PotterBot - Clay 3D Printer

Pottery is what most would consider a very traditional art form -- but now, thanks to DeltaBots, it's being brought more firmly into the 3D printing world. With DeltaBots' new 3D PotterBot 3D printer, the first machine of its kind dedicated solely to this use, users can create their own 3D printed ceramics and pottery. The 3D PotterBot is a delta-style 3D printer that differs somewhat from standard delta-style machines in that it has a stationary RAM extruder while the delta arms move the build plate, allowing for unprecedented control. The machine is available for just $2,950, and appears to be a tough piece of equipment that will work with clay of varying thicknesses without clogging. For more specs, and a video of the 3D PotterBot in action, check out the full article: http://3dprint.com/43005/3d-potterbot-printer/

Below is a photo of the 3D PotterBot:

Technologist
    Add truly_bent on Shapeways
    Being interested in delta bots, i was curious to see this inverted configuration in action. Brian's full article has a video, but that only shows the extruder in action. The deltabot.com web site has more, but doesn't go into much detail about the machine itself. I wonder if standard delta controller firmware handles this inverted configuration. Probably just a direction reversal to the stepper drive on all axes.

These were the same guys that had an unsuccessful Kickstarter campaign with their ZAGI-18, which was "built around an interchangeable effector/head". I like their creative ingenuity and hope they do better with this model.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    I can see some issues with a tall pot made of soft clay being tilted around.

The clay will move.

Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    I can see some issues with a tall pot made of soft clay being tilted around.

The clay will move.
    I'm just going to guess it's printing very slow. Because the picture look's very nice. But I hope to see this type of printer do good.

Staff Engineer
    Well, one thing about the delta configuration is that even though it seems counter-intuitive, the affector (in this case the plate) can't get tilted. Though the plate does indeed move very slowly. Seems like the printer itself is an art piece, and that's okay.

What would really complete it though is if the whole printing area from the nozzle down were inside a built-in kiln with plates that close flush with the platform when it's at the bottom of the travel. Watch it build the pot, then close the kiln and cure it right there on the machine.

I was thinking of something similar after seeing this. http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:74009