Close

Build Size Dilemma of 3D Printers

I don't think 3D Printing will fully take off until someone can come up with some sort of invention to allow people to print large items at home without needing an entire room for their 3D Printers.

The problem with today's consumer level 3D Printers is that they are too small to print anything larger than a a foot in each direction.

I would think there would be a way to do this without needing a printer that is the same size as the object being printed. Perhaps some sort of belt, or easy process in which objects could easily be fused together in a precise fashion.

I think there will be a solution, but I don't know what it will be or when it will be discovered.

What do you guys think?

Marty

Super Moderator
    Depending on how you define "size of the printer", the peachy's model is one possible solution. Hypothetically, you could scale the system to arbitrary size (assuming a powerful enough laser and reflective enough mirrors), but be able to break it down/fold it up for compact storage when not in use.

You still might need a room dedicated to it while you're using it, but you could stick it away in a closet at other times.

Engineer
    size factor certainly plays a part but the 3d printer will never be a regular household item until its developed enough where it is a brainless process. your basic housewife needs to be able to walk up to the computer and press ctrl p. if its not that simple then it will always be for the tech people, makers and engineers.

Quote Originally Posted by jimc View Post
    size factor certainly plays a part but the 3d printer will never be a regular household item until its developed enough where it is a brainless process. your basic housewife needs to be able to walk up to the computer and press ctrl p. if its not that simple then it will always be for the tech people, makers and engineers.
    I don't think this is too far off. They are getting easier to use by the day. I think within a year or so, it will be almost as easy to print a 3D object as it is to print something on your regular 2D printers. I think the only thing that will be a hold up is the fact that it is so difficult to print out big things.

I'm looking at ways to upsize a Prusa printer. These are the matters I am having to consider:

1. How to build and heat a heat bed of, say, 4' x 2' (for first model)

2. Should I use a flying gantry for the X and Z axes, or stay with a movable Y axis?

3. Should I stay with a belt drive system, or use screw drive?

4. Can I set up multiple gantries each with their own X and Z movements so that multiple prints of the same object can be made?

These are not insurmountable problems, but they indicate what might have to be determined when building a benchtop printer.

Old Man Emu

I agree, that build size does limit at home 3D Printers. Imagine being able to print entire TV stands, Desks, Lamps, Chairs, etc. That's when people will step aside and say, "this technology is for me". Unfortunately printers that you put in your home would, like you said, take up entire rooms. This isn't feasible. The other option is to print the larger objects in smaller parts, and then put them together. It would be nice if there was some way to print large items on smaller printers, but honestly I can't see how it would ever be done.

Technologist
    There are already big printers on the market. Powder printers are very mature and can get rather large. They are used in manufacturing and cost tens of thousands of dollars. I'm sure this isn't the big we are talking about though. We're talking about filament printers.

When I got my first printer it seemed really small and since then I have built a bigger one. However, there are serious drawbacks to larger printers:

1. They require much more stability to print accurately. You will need stiffer/thicker frame parts and more precision movement parts.
    2. The above makes them considerably more expensive.
    3. The time required to print "big" parts is excessive. Also, imagine how many failed prints you have when printing small. Now scale those numbers up when you have a part that is taking many hours to print. You are talking lots more plastic waste now.
    4. Add larger heated beds into the mix and you need some serious power above what a standard household jack can provide.

Those are just a few things that I think of when I think of going big. We can easily scale up any printer. It's only a question of money. But we don't actually end up with a printer that is up to the job. All the same issues with small printers are just amplified with bigger printers. Before going big we need to come up with printer designs that are going to print over and over again without failures or misalignment. At home, what we really want is a large box that has a single button on the front. Press it and out pops what you want. I don't think big will be plausible for home until we get there.

KDog, all of those points that you bring up seem to be issues that I fully expect to be improved upon in the next few years. I think what MartinPoets is concerned about is the fact that small printers limit the size of things that you can print.

Perhaps the solution here is to offer "garage stored" printers. Instead of having huge printers in our homes, why not put them in our garages? They can be hooked up to your computer via WiFi. Having a printer in your garage is better for your health anyhow. There is also less need for ventilation.

I think this is how the size issue will be solved in the long run. Those people who want to purchase large printers to print things such as chairs, large car parts, etc will end up finding room for these machines in their garages.

Technologist
    I understand but what are we talking about printing here? Furniture? Cars?. How many of those will you print before you are 'done' with the printer? Remember that you need space in your house for all those big things you print. My opinion is that this size of printer would never be in the home. Think about everything you own and then organize them by size. Most will either fit completely in a cubic foot or can be broken down into parts that will. Bigger printers are fun to build and work with but my smaller printer sees much more use. Not trying to be discouraging here by any means but I just don't see a place in the home for 'big' printers. Maybe a big printer in a maker space?

KDog hit it on the nail.