Close

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
    Engineer

PEI Sheet for Bed Adhesion

I purchased a 1/16" 12x12 sheet of PEI Plastic
    doing a first test directly onto it.. with nothing else
    so far with ABS its sticking.. i really hope this is the adhesion holy grail lol

I know someone is going to ask so I got it here
    http://www.mcmaster.com/#8685k43/=vs6z09
    Last edited by adamfilip; 02-05-2015 at 05:58 PM.

there is something richrap made a blog post about i think called bed eez and it even allows nylon to stick, supposedly it's pretty awesome as well... i might try getting some

Technician
    PEI Sheet is great for adhesion. but kind of tricky also a least for a noobie like me . i have notice that you need to be a little high on first layer comparing to glass (hairspray method) also set the temperature 80 - 90 for ABS . if you go higher than that i will stick so much that you literally need to break the printed part to take it off .

at the beginning i was having issues trying to get it to stick , that was solved by sanding very lightly with a 5000 grit automotive sand paper . this is common with PEI Sheets with a glossy finish .

also do NOT use acetone on your sheet . i clean it with Alcohol , acetone will disolved abs into the "pores" of the sheet making removing parts very very difficult!.

now im thinking of buying another sheet .my doesnt seem to be perfectly flat even though is sticked to a glass with 3m 468mp transfer tape
    Last edited by pichuete; 02-05-2015 at 10:36 PM.

Engineer
    I did a first print perfectly. snapped off easily once cooled.. havent sanded it.. still a high gloss finish, i also dont have it taped down. its just sitting ontop of my glass , held down by the binder clips

Would this be the same thing?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0013HQ7B0/ref=biss_dp_t_asn

I only ask as I got a few amazon gift cards for Christmas and I can spend that without the spousal grief of ordering from McMaster. I cant just buy one thing from there.

Also how hard is it to cut this stuff? I have a 10" i3v so I would need to cut it down.

Technician
    adamfilip,

Did you use any cooling or heating of the piece or bed? Also, what hot end temp did you use?

Have you done any more experimenting with it?

Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by brochapman View Post
    Would this be the same thing?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0013HQ7B0/ref=biss_dp_t_asn

I only ask as I got a few amazon gift cards for Christmas and I can spend that without the spousal grief of ordering from McMaster. I cant just buy one thing from there.

Also how hard is it to cut this stuff? I have a 10" i3v so I would need to cut it down.
    Yes that's the one i have . as for cutting the sheet i didnt have to cut it. only the corners but a glass cutter or a dremel should work.

Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by hernejj View Post
    adamfilip,

Did you use any cooling or heating of the piece or bed? Also, what hot end temp did you use?

Have you done any more experimenting with it?
    Ive printed 3 items on it..
    so far its been really awesome..! im not exagerating

I printed some single wall items with no bottom layer that hold down well..

Printing ABS at 245, bed is 120
    it holds strong until it cools to 30-35 degrees.. even at 50 degrees its still got a good hold
    not using any cooling

Loving it so far.. havent tried it with PLA yet

Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by pichuete View Post
    Yes that's the one i have . as for cutting the sheet i didnt have to cut it. only the corners but a glass cutter or a dremel should work.
    Looks similar, Its like acrylic to cut.. stiff board.. i suggest you go thicker so give it more rigidity. 1/16" if its thicker / flat, you dont need to glue it down.

Quote Originally Posted by adamfilip View Post
    Ive printed 3 items on it..
    so far its been really awesome..! im not exagerating

I printed some single wall items with no bottom layer that hold down well..

Printing ABS at 245, bed is 120
    it holds strong until it cools to 30-35 degrees.. even at 50 degrees its still got a good hold
    not using any cooling

Loving it so far.. havent tried it with PLA yet
    PEI and PLA are great. I didn't even turn on the hot bed when i used it. I have since migrated to buildtak. The hardest part for either type is printing to close which every one has gotten use to. NO smoosh the stuff just sticks.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast