Close

3D Printed Mechanical Herb Grinder

Josh Camitta, a young designer from Florida, was awarded a patent for his idea for his herb blender/scale -- but wasn't entirely sure how to proceed from there. Individual inventors have long faced the problem of being unable to move forward, often priced out of prototyping due to injection molding costs. However, once Camitta found Anthony Dichi of 3D Printing Expert, Inc.c, he found a way to progress. With Dichi's assistance, Camitta's device, the GraleÒ, could move past the idea stage and into prototyping. The device is a handheld processor/scale that can grind food in its upper chamber, then weigh and portion out from the bottom chamber. Camitta initially looked to prototype using sterolithography 3D printing technology, but found that method not ideal for his project. Dichi was able to inexpensively and quickly print parts for Camitta to work toward prototyping, and the GraleÒ is on its way toward becoming a final product. Find out more in the full article: http://3dprint.com/42245/graleo-prototype/

Below is a photo of the GraleÒ:

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    looks like across between a standard herb mouli and a tobacco shredder.

Not sure there's going to be a mass market for another herb shredder though.

Technologist
    Add truly_bent on Shapeways
    I'm sure it'll be a hit with marijuana aficionados. In fact i'm surprised that he was awarded a patent, given that there are already so many weed grinders available. I guess no one thought to add the scale before this.

...Not that i have any experience grinding up weed of course.

In reality herb user grinders can take quite a whacking about. (So I've been told I dont think even digital scales can take that much usage without going out by miles even if you tare it each time. Also it would get really sticky overtime as herb residue built up around the inside between the chamber and the surface of the scales unless you cleaned it out after each use but is it waterproof? looks like its meant to have herb kept in it for all the time with that little window on it. Would be better to have it in just 2 pieces with the top that comes off only just my pov but I guess that means you dont have to clean it.

Quote Originally Posted by 3dxyz View Post
    In reality herb user grinders can take quite a whacking about. (So I've been told I dont think even digital scales can take that much usage without going out by miles even if you tare it each time. Also it would get really sticky overtime as herb residue built up around the inside between the chamber and the surface of the scales unless you cleaned it out after each use but is it waterproof? looks like its meant to have herb kept in it for all the time with that little window on it. Would be better to have it in just 2 pieces with the top that comes off only just my pov but I guess that means you dont have to clean it.
    Hello 3dxyz: Thought I may be able to shed some light on your questions/concerns. First off, you are right, many of the grinders currently used in this particular arena are very durable made of CNC aluminum machining. While The Grale is a hybrid of materials, it can take a solid beating (every day usage). As for the concern with sticky residue, we have developed a retainer chute and matching reservoir tray (used to both collect, house and weigh). This retainer chute seamlessly transitions the ground product from the teeth into the tray for collection and storage. The ground material will very rarely be shed anywhere other than this said collection tray.

Additionally, "the top" of the grinder DOES in fact unscrew like a typical grinder would. The small and larger doors are additional options to the standard unscrew and pinching extraction method. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the comments.