Close

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    I just wonder how right shark feels about all this.

he worked just as hard, and nobody's stealing his image. Poor sharky :-(

Oh but wait !
    What if all the models on the internet were actually right shark's twin brother: didn't-make-it-to-the-show shark, and not left shark at all !

Basically the whole thing is ridiculous.

Administrator
    Follow SarahA On Twitter
    Right Shark is probably too busy having a dance party to be bothered much... in fact, he's probably breaking it down with Left Shark, because they are some fun-loving shark dancers who aren't fussed by the lawyers' party (different kinds of sharks).

Really, though, it would surely be a better PR move for Katy Perry's people to just accept that Left Shark is extremely marketable and popular, and maybe partner up with designers who want to immortalize the little guy, or at least give them the thumbs-up. Somehow I don't think her candy empire will topple through the fault of 3D printed figures from the half-time show. Let's face it, I love Left Shark as much as the next casual Super Bowl watcher, but will probably have forgotten about him by the time the next season of Doctor Who airs.

I hope Perry's lawyers calm down... though that isn't really the shark-lawyer way.
    Or maybe get with a designer (Sosa's designs look perfect to me!) to create official Left Shark merch to capitalize on this while they can. It's not a huge time window, probably.

Quote Originally Posted by SarahA View Post
    Really, though, it would surely be a better PR move for Katy Perry's people to just accept that Left Shark is extremely marketable and popular, and maybe partner up with designers who want to immortalize the little guy, or at least give them the thumbs-up. Somehow I don't think her candy empire will topple through the fault of 3D printed figures from the half-time show. Let's face it, I love Left Shark as much as the next casual Super Bowl watcher, but will probably have forgotten about him by the time the next season of Doctor Who airs.

I hope Perry's lawyers calm down... though that isn't really the shark-lawyer way.
    Or maybe get with a designer (Sosa's designs look perfect to me!) to create official Left Shark merch to capitalize on this while they can. It's not a huge time window, probably.
    LeftShark already has a designer, the team who made the concept and costume for that show, so why do you think she should partner up with a “ new or different ” one ?

Every business strives for quality, so in the event that she wants to commercialize it, her team of professionals do the work and not some random people on the Internet, who lack certain principals of quality management.

After much ado, 3D designer Fernando Sosa’s Left Shark is for sale again on Shapeways. 3D printing enthusiasts better catch him while they can though, as Shapeways awaits what is most likely a properly formatted DMCA takedown letter which will force them to beach the 3D model of the popular shark again. In an ongoing legal skirmish, the 3D model has been at the center of what could be an intellectual property battle. Find out the latest in the full article: http://3dprint.com/46212/left-shark-is-back/

Below is a photo of the returned Left Shark:

Left Shark lawyers moves

Quote Originally Posted by Brian_Krassenstein View Post
    After much ado, 3D designer Fernando Sosa’s Left Shark is for sale again on Shapeways. 3D printing enthusiasts better catch him while they can though, as Shapeways awaits what is most likely a properly formatted DMCA takedown letter which will force them to beach the 3D model of the popular shark again. In an ongoing legal skirmish, the 3D model has been at the center of what could be an intellectual property battle. Find out the latest in the full article: http://3dprint.com/46212/left-shark-is-back/

Below is a photo of the returned Left Shark:
    Thanks for covering this story again... I want to make clear a couple of things. You can check updates on this case at politicalsculptor.blogspot.com.

My lawyer Christopher Jon Sprigman professor at New York University school of law has responded to Katy Perry Lawyer's twice. Katy Perry has yet to reply to our second letter and has yet to prove copyright on this un copyrightable shark outfit.

Like i said I went into this because i wanted a left shark for myself and if it sold and made a couple of bucks that would be even better. I didn't go into this trying to steal money out the pockets of Katy Perry or her lawyers and i honestly didn't think you could copyright props like beach balls, palm trees and shark outfit. I complied with Katy Perry's lawyers nastygram aka cease and desist without any legal backing. I contacted her lawyers to get a licensing deal or offer royalties but i was not given such opportunity. I only thought about fighting this fight after many lawyers including my lawyer advice me that Katy Perry cannot copyright an outfit or usable item. Mickey and spiderman are very different cases because the spiderman and mickey mouse were copyrighted before making large outfits and halloween clothing. However, these lawyers did not expect this backup dancer to go viral hence probably never copyrighted anything.

This case is worth fighting for me because this is an issue where lawyers and corporations are trying to privatize socially created ideas and shutting out artists, small business and entrepreneurs. Many companies have attempted to do so by trademarking can't Breathe, Je Suis Charlie and internet memes. This kind of stuff will hinder the raise of the creative and makers class just like patent trolling is hindering technology..

http://www.hamptoninstitution.org/le...l#.VOij77DF9TN

Technologist
    Follow RAMTechRob On Twitter
    Well, hopefully you got your 15 minutes of fame you wanted. Now get back to making the butt plugs you were first famous for!!

Actually I'm famous for many other things

Quote Originally Posted by RAMTechRob View Post
    Well, hopefully you got your 15 minutes of fame you wanted. Now get back to making the butt plugs you were first famous for!!
    I saw your other comments so I'm going to take your comment is not sincere.. fyI.. I'm famous for my 3D printed throne iPhone dock.. I'm famous for my 3D printed Chris Christie featured in national TV and websites all over the nation.. And yes I'm famous for my Putin, Kim Jong Un buttplugs etc all over the world.. Not to mention the hundreds of iPhone cases I have sold and created.. So this is not my 15 minutes of fame.. Not even close .. I been here and done that. And this will not be the last time you see my name in the news..

Quote Originally Posted by RAMTechRob View Post
    No need to get worked up about, eventually he'll learn that stealing is wrong. He can struggle all he wants, but nobody is above the law.
    His promotion tour of this case to make him look like the victim doesn't help him in court either.

I am more interested in how he's gonna manage to repay all the damage he has caused + lawyer costs, that's probably not cheap.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mstyle183 View Post
    Thanks for covering this story again... I want to make clear a couple of things. You can check updates on this case at politicalsculptor.blogspot.com.

My lawyer Christopher Jon Sprigman professor at New York University school of law has responded to Katy Perry Lawyer's twice. Katy Perry has yet to reply to our second letter and has yet to prove copyright on this un copyrightable shark outfit.

Like i said I went into this because i wanted a left shark for myself and if it sold and made a couple of bucks that would be even better. I didn't go into this trying to steal money out the pockets of Katy Perry or her lawyers and i honestly didn't think you could copyright props like beach balls, palm trees and shark outfit. I complied with Katy Perry's lawyers nastygram aka cease and desist without any legal backing. I contacted her lawyers to get a licensing deal or offer royalties but i was not given such opportunity. I only thought about fighting this fight after many lawyers including my lawyer advice me that Katy Perry cannot copyright an outfit or usable item. Mickey and spiderman are very different cases because the spiderman and mickey mouse were copyrighted before making large outfits and halloween clothing. However, these lawyers did not expect this backup dancer to go viral hence probably never copyrighted anything.

This case is worth fighting for me because this is an issue where lawyers and corporations are trying to privatize socially created ideas and shutting out artists, small business and entrepreneurs. Many companies have attempted to do so by trademarking can't Breathe, Je Suis Charlie and internet memes. This kind of stuff will hinder the raise of the creative and makers class just like patent trolling is hindering technology..

http://www.hamptoninstitution.org/le...l#.VOij77DF9TN
    I dont think they are trying to copyright the shark outfit. The entire set at the show, which includes the sharks, the idea of the 'left shark' being slow and drunk, the beach balls etc... Together form the copyright, which was her performance. I dont think you get it, your lawyers will find out though. Who came up with the idea of the left shark? You or Katy? Her idea, her earnings. Just letting you know how it's going to work out.

Katy Perry was recently denied trademark rights of Left Shark, her drunkenly dancing sidekick at the Super Bowl who was then reproduced in 3D printing by Fernando Sosa, and since is everywhere, from memes to t-shirts—and even tattoos. The trademark was denied for this initial request as the shark is just not thought to be specific enough or detailed enough to be connected directly to her, although the phrase ‘Left Shark’ may later be allowed in trademark if she can be more specific. Find out more about this latest ruling in the full story: http://3dprint.com/60159/left-shark-trademark-denied/

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234