Close

What do we want in scanner software?

I've looked at a few examples of software used to clean up 3D scans, and come to this conclusion:

I'd like to see an eraser function, similar to that in Paint and that tyoe of software, so that I could rub out the unwanted pixels in a scan image simply by running my mouse pointer over the image.

What would you like to have in this type of software?

Old Man Emu

Technologist
    Add truly_bent on Shapeways
    In the same vein, the ability to add vertices and/or facets like a paint brush to cover holes. In fact the whole program should be simple. Every bloody program i've run across dealing with mesh repair has a steep learning curve to it. Well, all except Nefabb maybe...

Staff Engineer
    Those are important features, although automatic hole repair can be more useful than manual, since some of those holes are too small to see reliably. What I'd like to see are more robust and simple methods of aligning scans, since many scanning systems give you a series of separate scans that are a real bear to put together into one.

Andrew Werby
    www.computersculpture.com

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    a lot of automation.
    ie I click the 'just do it' button and get a working stl file :-)

And a decent wipe and crop tool as well.

What I'd really like is for it to be bundled with a decent desktop scanner that'll do a 12 inch volume and costs less than £300 :-)