Close

Engineer

Printing via USB versus SD Card

Have you guys noticed any more or less print failures due to printing via usb vs direct from SD Card?

Engineer
    I haven't experienced such, but I have heard if your print computer is busy with other tasks, it could interrupt printing when over USB.

Don't let the computer fall asleep... things get ruined that way...

Engineer
    On the other hand, if you're printing from a SD card, standalone, not plugged into a computer, and you have an ABL servo set up, there's a chance the servo may draw too much power and crash the RAMPS board. It depends on what kind of power supply you have, and how it's hooked up.

Technologist
    Add usarmyaircav on Google+ Add usarmyaircav on Thingiverse
    I don't have abl yet. I have done some SD card printing, but have been fairly comfortable using pronterface. What is nice that pronterface keeps my Kubuntu laptop from sleeping.

I used a Raspberry Pi for a while. If you use the live webcam feature, it has a tendency to crash. Since that's all I wanted it for, I chucked it. SD Card isn't that hard for me, the PC is 10ft from the printer.

EDIT: Oh, wait, you said USB. Sorry. Free bump. Carry on.

Engineer
    While I haven't had any experience with my RasPi crashing with a webcam, I consider using it to be "printing over USB" anyway, just without Pronterface.

^^what he said:-)