Close

The Cirin, a 3D Printed Car Which runs on a Giant Rubber Band

A team of designers have created what's probably one of the coolest remote control cars I have ever seen. Called The Cirin, the vehicle is able to achieve speeds of up to 30 mph without using any form of electricity or battery to powder its drive train. Instead it relies on a 3D printed frame along with a 16 foot long rubber band which is wound up prior to it driving. The car was printed out of nylon powder on a selective laser sintering machine owned by Solid Concepts. More details on this 3d printed RC car can be found here: http://3dprint.com/40038/cirin-3d-printed-rc-car

Check out a picture of the car below, and let us know what you think:

Staff Engineer
    Ow, my brain.

EDIT: I'll expand on this. My head hurts from trying to figure out why someone would even care enough to go through the trouble of designing this, let alone pay to get it printed.

Technologist
    Add truly_bent on Shapeways
    Awww, come on Feign. You gotta admit that's one sexy lookin' piece of kit.
    I'll admit, i don't understand the "rubber band" thing though. How many miles/kilometers does it get to the windup? Make it electric and it'll be a hot seller, i'd bet.

Technologist
    Follow RAMTechRob On Twitter
    I think its awesome. I hope it does well.

Banned
    Someones gotta wind up that rubber band right. And if the rubberband is 16 feet long and is packaged in a 16" remote controlled car it might take hundreds or thousands of winds, at that point you would need an electric motor to do the winding, and well; you get the idea...