Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Follow lucidpsykosis On Twitter Add lucidpsykosis on Thingiverse

Angry ABS prints splitting

Can someone tell me why my ABS prints are splitting? I would normally think its because of cooling too quickly or something, but I don't know. I've got eight other parts, all with splitting.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Forgot to add my info: Extruding temp is 228º, and the HBP is 115º.

Super Moderator
    Add jfkansas on Thingiverse
    Build plate is way too high. Try 90c on build plate and 235 on filament. Fully enclose machine, probably the most important thing....

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    build plate temp is fine.
    You probably need to print slower. Gives the abs more time to bond and better layer adhesion.
    Also less infill should give fewer cracks.
    For some reason people seem to use a lot of infill. If you're using makerware 10% will give you super strong prints. I usually go 5 or 10 for most prints. Only if I need a super strong part that gets a lot of lateral stress will I go any higher.

When i was using abs I used 120 for the build plate, anything lower and I got serious curl - even on the raft (never managed to print abs without raft).
    That is on a non-enclosed system though.

Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    build plate temp is fine.
    You probably need to print slower. Gives the abs more time to bond and better layer adhesion.
    Also less infill should give fewer cracks.
    For some reason people seem to use a lot of infill. If you're using makerware 10% will give you super strong prints. I usually go 5 or 10 for most prints. Only if I need a super strong part that gets a lot of lateral stress will I go any higher.

When i was using abs I used 120 for the build plate, anything lower and I got serious curl - even on the raft (never managed to print abs without raft).
    That is on a non-enclosed system though.
    I printed this at 60, with 20% infill. I thought about trying to go less infill, but wasn't sure. I'll give it a whirl...thanks for the input everyone

Super Moderator
    Add jfkansas on Thingiverse
    Layer adhesion will be better at the hotter filament temp. 20 infill will be good. Definitely enclose the sides and maybe the top if you can.

120 build plate is way above the glass point and your bottom layers won't solidify properly at that temp.

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    build plate temp is fine. .
    it's not, that's why his parts are splitting unless you live in England where its frosty all the time...

also use more shells and print slower, infill helps yes, but 2 shells/walls helps more.
    Hex3D - 3D Printing and Design http://www.hex3d.com

Engineer
    i agree with geoff and jf totally. plate temp is too high. i have found things to get worse above 100c. i normally start 1st layer at 96-100 just to get it stuck then layer 2 drops to 90 for the rest of the print. higher not end temp though will increase layer adhesion. you may get to the point though where if your part doesnt crack then it starts curling and warping on the bed. there is alot of stress built up in some parts and something has to give!

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    plate temp has nothing to do with prints splitting. They're splitting way above the bed. At that point what the bed is doing is largely irrelevant.

I tried various temps when i was using abs. 120 worked best, that's all I'm saying.

Engineer
    Hmm I have been printing ABS at 115 religiously. Maybe I will lower it down some :P I don't have cracking problem's, but almost always have a slight warping in at the very bottom of my prints. Kind of just learned to work with it. Will try lowering my temp.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast