Close

Now you can Make Your Own 3D Printed SmartWatch

Maker Johnathan Cook decided to make his own smart watch, which he calls the Open-Source SmartWatch. It operates like the smart watches by Samsung, Sony, LG, and others that have begun increasing in popularity as they’ve become more sophisticated and less reliant on a compatible, partnering device like a mobile phone. The frame for Cook’s SmartWatch is 3D printed and he shared STL files and instructions for making the device on the webzine, “Make:” as well as on his new website, DoNothingBox. Check out more details about this DIY smart watch in the full article: http://3dprint.com/38620/open-source-smartwatch/

Below is a photo of Cook's smart watch on his wrist:

Add bford903 on Facebook
    Does anyone here have any interest in Smartwatches?

A lot of companies are developing their own smartwatches/jewelry, but I just don't see the demand. A watch that lets you know you've received a text or email is pretty ho-hum. I know there'll always be people willing to buy anything with an Apple logo on it, but this seems like it's going to be short-lived.

Is anyone here excited about the prospect of a Smartwatch or SmartRing? What would you like to see a Smartwatch or SmartRing do?

Staff Engineer
    I think as the concept of disposable income has pretty much gone away and new technology just keeps getting more expensive, people are slowly moving away from connectivity gadgets altogether.

Pretty much the primary functionality of a smartwatch seems to be displaying messages and alerts as they come in so you don't have to pull your phone out of your pocket. It's not necessarily a stupid idea, but it's a luxury item at best.
    I don't even know about a "Smart Ring" as it's more demanding to read something on a ring than it is to look at your wrist (unless the ring is inordinately large, I guess). I haven't seen any "Smart Rings" aside from blatant IGG scams, though.

Add bford903 on Facebook
    This ring connects to your phone through bluetooth and vibrates when you receive a notification. The mechanism is hidden under the gemstone. Made by a company called Ringly.

I still haven't decided whether I going to design a smartwatch/jewelry line yet. Currently in the research phase.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Engineer
    No, I am just annoyed by the fact you have to charge it too much frequently.

Staff Engineer
    I see Richard's point, even the most simple of these devices has to have Bluetooth always on to connect to the phone, and Bluetooth is annoyingly power consumptive, I leave it off on my phone to extend the battery life drastically.

Basically, there needs to be a low-power short range pairing signal just for pushing text notifications before wearables can take off.

You know where and how to customize and create watchface for watch ?
    Please help
    I have found a new site that can customize watchface for Android wear watchface. Are this can be used ? or can anyone can recommend?
    Last edited by prozeon93; 08-11-2015 at 08:36 PM.

Looking amazing. I love smartwatches. I had the apple smartwatch. Last night it's broke. Now I am planning to buy this https://productz.com/en/garmin-forer...-bundle/p/0QER I know we can't compare it with the apple watch but still it has lots of features. I would like to have your view on this watch.