Close

Follow Eddie On Twitter Add Eddie on Facebook Add Eddie on Google+ Add Eddie on Shapeways Add Eddie on Thingiverse

Mitsubishi will sell 3D metal printers in North America.. for $840,000

The price point is a bit high (ok maybe very high), but I find it interesting the Mitsubishi is getting into selling 3D Printers. I wonder if they will take it a step farther and make consumer level printers.

Mitsubishi Corp., Japan's largest trading company, will introduce a metal-forming 3D printer to North America starting in January 2014, Nikkei news reported.

Mitsubishi will sell the Metal Laser Sintering Hybrid Milling Machine, LUMEX Avance-25 developed by Japanese company Matsuura Machinery which has so far sold specifically in the die and mold industry in Japan and Asia.

This LUMEX Avance-25 high-performance 3-D printer is the only machine in the world which realizes one-machine one-process manufacturing of complex molds and parts using fusing metal laser sintering (3D SLS) technology and high-speed milling technology. The printer melts metal powders and sinters with laser while surfaces are milled in high speed to form metal parts with complex surface shapes.

Matsuura Machinery's printer can fabricate dies and molds of very complex geometry with dimensions as large as 250 x 250 x 180 mm.

Specifications:

Laser oscillator: Yb fiber laser
    Laser Power : 400W
    Spindle Speed: 45,000 min
    Travel (X/Y/Z) : 260/260/100 mm
    Feed Rate (X/Y/Z) : 60/60/30 m/min
    Read the entire article at: http://www.3ders.org/articles/201401...h-america.html

Engineer
    That is one hefty price tag. Having said this, I guess you get what you pay for. Mitsubishi is a big name, and judging by the video of this laser sintering printer, it certainly is high tech:

I can't wait until printers like this can be purchased by consumers for under $2000. That's when things really get nuts within this industry.

this is matsuura (a cnc company) not mitsubishi. Mitsubihi here for market research or something like that. matsuura builds that machine from 2004 to now in asia
    and finally this is the real 3d printer
    Last edited by cyth; 01-07-2014 at 05:51 AM.