Close

'Beyond the Buzz' Art Exhibit Opens Today - 3D Printed Art

Some of the 25 artists featured in the Beyond the Buzz: New Forms, Realities, and Environments in Digital Fabrication" at the Minnesota College of Art and Design are reviewed here. The exhibit covers a wide spectrum of digital fabrication artists, and there's quite a range of diverse pieces that are 3D printed as well. From scholar stones, to a reworked Venus series, hypothetical life forms, and 3D printed GPS tracking scans, the designs of this featured 3D printed artwork are as diverse as the equipment and machines the artists use to make them. For further details on each of these artists who are relying heavily on 3D printing for their work, check out the full story here: http://3dprint.com/38400/mcads-beyond-buzz-3d-print/

Below is a piece done by Dave Beck, called 'Bob'

Western high culture is terribly debased and degenerate. Ugly on purpose. Only popular culture is awesome.

Staff Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by NikFromNYC View Post
    Western high culture is terribly debased and degenerate. Ugly on purpose. Only popular culture is awesome.
    To each his own, I suppose, but I saw that piece in New York, at the Museum of Art and Design, and thought it had a certain beauty to it. (It's by Elona van Ghent, by the way, not Dave Beck) See http://computersculpture.com/blog#outOfHand_anchor for my review of that show. But then I'm not a big fan of popular culture either. I'm participating in this show in Minneapolis, with some of my carved CNC pieces (which aren't "ugly on purpose", but aren't to everyone's taste either). It sounds like a good show; If anyone reading this is in the area, stop by, check it out, and make up your own mind.

Please share some examples of awesome art from the popular culture. Are you talking about "lowbrow" art as championed by Juxtapoz, or do you not like art at all?

Andrew Werby
    www.computersculpture.com