Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Crisis - SD card issues - (sorry!)

Hi Folks, as some of you may remember from a few months ago, I am using a Flashforge Creator Pro for a project with an extremely difficult deadline. I really hate to ask you another SD card question, I'm sure they come up all the time, but I see conflicting reports and old reports when I search - so I really hope someone can help with up-to-date info.

My SD card worked fine for months - then I started to get "SD card read error" reports. When it first happened I just deleted the most recent file I'd added, added it again and it worked. But now it has gotten to the point where if I remove the SD card when the machine is running, and then put it back in, I get the "SD card read error" every time.

However - if I turn off the machine, put the card in when it's off and turn it back on, it works. For now.

The obvious suspect here is the SD card itself. I'm using the one that came with the machine,and it astounds me that it can bake so often for so long and still work. But if the problem is the card - why does it still work on my computer? Anyone ever encountered a card that works on a computer but not in the printer?

I am going to buy a replacement card. My biggest question is - what is the current, modern, proper format? I've read FAT16 - that is ancient, right? Also - it there a size limit (4GB, 8GB etc.)? Is there a limit to the size of file names? Any restrictions on special characters? (I use underscores sometimes).

Any advice and feedback would be greatly, greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Super Moderator
    Here is what I got and use for all of my printers. From Amazon. They work fine for me right out of the package.

SanDisk 8GB Class 4 SDHC Flash Memory Card - 2 Pack SDSDB2L-008G-B35

Also you might blow out your card slot a little for dust etc. As far as for formatiing this is what is recommended.

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/

Just remember, as you know already, these readers in the printers are fussy (cheap). A lot of times I get a read error and I just go backwards on the menu and try again.
    Last edited by wirlybird; 07-20-2017 at 08:05 AM.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    fat 32 is the most compatible.

4 or 8gb cards are best and dirt cheap.
    Get sandisk through reference.

And yep the cards that come with the printers are usually fakes with fake labels. Trump cards if you like :-)

Quote Originally Posted by wirlybird View Post
    Here is what I got and use for all of my printers. From Amazon. They work fine for me right out of the package.

SanDisk 8GB Class 4 SDHC Flash Memory Card - 2 Pack SDSDB2L-008G-B35

Also you might blow out your card slot a little for dust etc. As far as for formatiing this is what is recommended.

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/

Just remember, as you know already, these readers in the printers are fussy (cheap). A lot of times I get a read error and I just go backwards on the menu and try again.
    Wirlybird, thanks for that. I'd like to try to format it without installing a new piece of software just for that purpose, but I will keep that program in mind if I have problems.

Unfortunately, when I get these card read errors, I can't go back into the menu - I get nothing, not even the plate leveling routine. It just doesn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    fat 32 is the most compatible.

4 or 8gb cards are best and dirt cheap.
    Get sandisk through reference.

And yep the cards that come with the printers are usually fakes with fake labels. Trump cards if you like :-)
    OK, CA, that's what I'll try. Do you know if there are any limitations on file name length or characters, spaces, etc. that might be contributing to my problems?

Super Moderator
    Probably just a failing card but I think 30 characters. I stay away from folders etc. on the cards. I just load the file and print and then usually delete the files.

Hmmm, wirlybird, I actually have folders, and a fair number of files, on the card. I did delete some and it didn't seem to help.
    Anyway, I just went out and got exactly what you suggested - Sandisk 8 gig Class 4 SDHC double pack. We'll see what happens when i test it.

Super Moderator
    Good luck. I use a bunch of those with no issues on several different printers.
    I think your other card is just failing or corrupted. A proper format may bring it back.

Thank you for your feedback and advice wirlybird! For right now I am sidestepping the problem by putting in the card when the machine is off, but I'll keep you posted as things evolve.

Just a quick anecdote. I use an FFCP clone (Qidi Tech 1) and EVERY SINGLE TIME I put my SD card in I choose the "read from SD card" option and EVERY SINGLE TIME it says "SD card read error". When this happens I literally just hit the Select/OK button and hit it again right away and the files show up.

I've been believing it is an initialization issue with the firmware within the system itself (I think Qidi uses modified sailfish) and have not had an issue yet just hitting the select button until the models load up.

I am using the SD card mine was shipped with. I tend to not believe it is an issue with it being an inferior card because it happens EVERY time. It is not intermittent as if something is low quality within the card itself (this is in my case. I know your symptoms are a little different). I also have read many many reports of this exact same thing happening on FFCP's and Qidi's.

I'm sure you've tried to continually go into the SD menu but I hope that helps. Maybe there's a way to "factory default" your FFCP. If you haven't changed any firmware settings within the printer itself or updated the firmware then going to factory default shouldn't cause any issues and maybe it will help with initializing SD card reading.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast