Close

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Staff Engineer
    Add AutoWiz on Facebook
    They were cheap enough so I already got a pi and got the 64gb microsd to work on it and got raspbian installed pretty easy but I am struggling with getting retropi up and going on it. And I want to install a full version of minecraft on it with windows iot but I have to get past the retropi first. Once I have learned a little more with the pi then I will move forward with repetier server on pi. In repetier server when you are setting up your printer(s) there is an option to set to turn power to printer on/off. At this point that is a dark path to me but I like the sound of it and want to move in that direction. I know the pi has a bunch of gpios so in theory I should be able to achieve this vision with a pi and repetier server. I have some experience with Arduino boards and fusion brain. Feeble knowledge really. I am an auto mechanic I am very good at working with my hands. And all things hardware related come naturally to me. But the software and programming slows me down. I am almost done swapping parts on both printers

Staff Engineer
    Add AutoWiz on Facebook
    Unfortunately I have hit a few speed bumps on my way here. First I noticed that I needed slightly longer 8mm linear rods for the x axis on the black printer and I need a jst connector to connect the fan I added to the gt2560 board on the clear printer. So I am in a holding pattern waiting on ebay. Also I lost my .stl file I had made for my little volt gauges and I still have to design and print a black filament holder for the black printer. But aside from that, They are looking much better as I take away all the different colors..

And here is my pi 3 with a wall mount I designed and printed..

For the time while I learn the ins and outs of the pi I have it attached to a 32" tv so it is easy on the old eyes..

Technologist
    As far as I know, you need an ATX power supply if you want to be able to turn printer on or off. Here's an Instructable about it: http://www.instructables.com/id/Usin...ATX-power-sup/. I've been planning on implementing this on my FrankenCube, but as it's been working very well with raspberry + Octorint, never got around to it... just need to manually turn the ATX main switch off.

Staff Engineer
    Add AutoWiz on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by spegelius View Post
    As far as I know, you need an ATX power supply if you want to be able to turn printer on or off. Here's an Instructable about it: http://www.instructables.com/id/Usin...ATX-power-sup/. I've been planning on implementing this on my FrankenCube, but as it's been working very well with raspberry + Octorint, never got around to it... just need to manually turn the ATX main switch off.

Thank you. This is a brilliant way to power a printer and a pi together. I need to make some more changes to my printers.
    Last edited by AutoWiz; 02-14-2017 at 05:55 PM.

Staff Engineer
    Add AutoWiz on Facebook
    I have learned that my monoprice mini printer has onboard wifi. It is not well known about these printers as they are a rebranded mylan 200 printer and I guess that feature wasn't pushed to hard or known or advertised too well but it is there and it works and well. Here is the first wifi printer up and going in my home..

It is basic in its function but it works. I used repetier and a usb cable to connect to the printer and send g code to tell the printer ssid and password. Then the printer connects to my network and displays a ip address across the top of it's screen. Once I open my browser and type in that address I get this nifty little webpage..

Here I can drag and drop .gco files for printing. It is not the fastest thing when it comes to uploading files but it works.

Staff Engineer
    Add AutoWiz on Facebook
    I know I was thinking about using a pi for this effort but I have since decided to use controllers that natively support wifi. First up for this modification is the GEEETech i3 printer. This machine has been a workhorse for me..

I have already put some upgrades on this machine. This 12864 screen was an upgrade..

And now it has to go in exchange for this knob - less and color touchscreen..

When I first built this printer I was excited to get this together and discover the world of 3d printing. And as such when I got to connecting everything to the gt2560 control board I was admittedly a bit sloppy..

Here is the gt2560 controller. This is a fine controller. It just doesn't support wifi. So it has to go..

And I am building this back with an MKS base 1.5 board. I like how the stepper drivers are integrated..

I know it might seem strange that I like or even want to play with integrated drivers with a fixed amount of microstepping. And these are only 1/16 microstepping. So I have to chase down resolution with stepper motors. I got a pair of 400 steps per revolution or 0.9 degree per step motors. They will install on the x and y axes..

And here is the controller all wired in and a little cleaner wiring job this time..

Here we are all back together..

And here is the MKS wifi module that connects to the back of the MKS tft32 touchscreen..

Last edited by AutoWiz; 04-08-2017 at 11:44 PM.

Staff Engineer
    Add AutoWiz on Facebook
    Updated the firmware for the touchscreen and check out the new gui / icons..

should be printing soon.

Staff Engineer
    Add AutoWiz on Facebook
    finished all the setup stuff and got started on the first test print since back together..

I do still have some fine tuning ahead of me here. The first layer was kinda sketchy because of height and proximity sensor adjustment among other things but that is for a different thread. Now that this machine is back together and printing ok I need to get the wifi connected and print something wirelessly.

Engineer-in-Training
    Add Wolfie on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by AutoWiz View Post
    I do still have some fine tuning ahead of me here. The first layer was kinda sketchy because of height and proximity sensor adjustment among other things but that is for a different thread. Now that this machine is back together and printing ok I need to get the wifi connected and print something wirelessly.
    Raspberry Pi. A PiCam or a cheap Logitech USB WebCam. And OctoPi. Its all you need.

Technically you don't need the cams. But its nice to SEE the printer. From anywhere. It streams it live. It also can produce a timelapse video for you of the print. So, if anything goes wrong during the print, you can see when and how.

And you can install samba. With that, you can share a "watched" folder and the timelapse folder. You can then slice and save the Gcode direct to the watched folder (no http upload needed). It will appear in the file list in OctoPi and you can print right then.

You can also intall cura engine into OctoPi and it will even slice it for you. But I don't use that feature as I use Simplify3D and save the slice to the network share on the OctoPi.

Using this setup, I can monitor my prints right from a standard browser on my phone or use PiP on the Xbox or on my Kodi box.

Staff Engineer
    Add AutoWiz on Facebook
    yup. As I am learning the wireless capabilities of the monoprice mini and the mks wifi modules are pretty limited. no real way to bring a camera into the mix. But that is ok. I only have wireless onboard for 3 of my 4 printers. My home made printer, Printilicious, uses a megatronics v3 board. No wireless going on there. So I will use a pi for this effort. Although to be honest I was looking at the asus tinkerboard (https://www.asus.com/us/Single-Board.../Tinker-Board/ ) , and now I am looking at the banana pi m3( http://www.banana-pi.org/m3.html ). ya its a few bills more, but it has an octa-core cpu with 2gb of lpddr3. They will both work with most pi stuff.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast