Close

Running an 8-cycle heated bed PID autotune -- how long does it take?

I've stumbled onto a few sites now that recommend running an autotune, but none of them mention any sort of timing on how long it should take.

I haven't been able to monitor the terminal log in autoprint the entire time, so I'm not sure if I'm still on my first cycle or not, but it's been 2 hours and I'm hoping it's not >2 hours/cycle...

I tried checking the octoprint.log file, but it's not logging this information.

Anyone done this and have an idea of how long it should take?

I bet you are not using Marlin! Marlin's Auto Tune only takes 5 minutes even if you are going to run 5 or 6 cycles.

You should see your LCD Display show the temperature going up and past the set point, and then falling back. It should do this a few times. At the end, it should have fairly accurate constants for the P, I and D number in the equation. (Typically called kP, kI and kD)

Quote Originally Posted by Roxy View Post
    I bet you are not using Marlin! Marlin's Auto Tune only takes 5 minutes even if you are going to run 5 or 6 cycles.

You should see your LCD Display show the temperature going up and past the set point, and then falling back. It should do this a few times. At the end, it should have fairly accurate constants for the P, I and D number in the equation. (Typically called kP, kI and kD)
    Thanks, you're right, it only takes 5 minutes. Since the printer is down in the basement I was watching the terminal in Octoprint, which spams constantly with temperature messages. I was wrongly assuming that these messages were related to the autotune, when it was actually long over.

I checked "Suppress temperature messages" in Octoprint and it all became much clearer.

I've got everything nicely tuned now, and I've added the settings to my Configuration.h for future rebuilds as well.

Got a new drone frame printing now :]