Close

Original filament or third-party?

Are you guys using the original filaments of your 3D printer, or third-party filaments? why?

Super Moderator
    I used the supplied for practice. I now use "third party" brands. Mainly Hatchbox.

The supplied on a lot of printers is not the best filament. I have to say that what I got with my QIDI printers was decent not so much for the Flashforge filament.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    the flashforge filament that came with my original printer - was pretty poor, was nearly 3 years ago now though.
    Since then I've used dozens of different makes and types. My all time favourite filament is reprapper tech ltd pla. Phenomenal stuff and decently priced.
    I'd also recommend all the polymaker filaments - with a particular emphasis on polyflex. Just the best flexible filament around.

I've also used a bunch of dirt cheap pla from amazon and ebay. For the money, it's all been okay. I honestly don't think you get crap filament anymore.
    I've never had any issues with thickness, moisture, clogging etc.
    The main difference between good pla and cheap pla is the cheap stuff will have a very slight shrinkage and the good stuff won't.

Engineer
    I've pretty much switched my brand to the newer Inland PLA. $14.99 per 1KG at a local store. Been running great. Saved me a ton of money lol

Technologist
    I tend to use whoever has what I need in stock. Not had any bad filament in ages, but I am not too choosy and my CTC printer isn't fussy either.

I was disappointed with some filament advertised as silver, but was definitely grey!!

I know MANY people who use Makerbot filament because MB tells their customers if they use any other filament, they void their warranty. Of course, this is against the law, but they scare people just enough to get them to stick with it.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by noiseboy72 View Post
    I tend to use whoever has what I need in stock. Not had any bad filament in ages, but I am not too choosy and my CTC printer isn't fussy either.

I was disappointed with some filament advertised as silver, but was definitely grey!!
    Yeah the only actual silver filament I['ve had is the reprapper tech aluminium stuff. Comes in stiff and flexible and really does look like metal.
    It only seesm to be available from their website though. the guys I buy their stuff from in the uk - 3dfilaprint, just have never stocked the metallic filaments. I got samples from globalfsd (which is essentially the same people) but never yet seen a decent sized roll for sale in the uk. Shame as both the alumnium and copper look like actual metals without any farting around with sanding and polishing like the colorfabb stuff.
    http://www.reprappertech.com/reprapp...l#.WGkH8blr1D0
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 01-01-2017 at 07:45 AM.

Engineer-in-Training
    I honestly haven't noticed a heck of a lot of difference in the PLA/ABS I have been getting. The nylons and other high end stuff I use taulman. Interestingly I have had more issues at work with the 3D systems cartridges than I have at home with the mainstream products.