Close

Bruce Museum Celbrates National Penguin Day with a 3D Print Exhibit

Both the penguin and 3D printing are being celebrated at the Bruce Museum on January 20th for National Penguin Day. The museum will present both a science lecture, and a presentation regarding the 3D printing of its Black-Footed Penguin specimen. The specimen was scanned and 3D printed in a project partnership with science curator Dr. Dan Ksepka of the museum, and MakerBot of Greenwich, CT. Check out more about this penguin project in the full article: http://3dprint.com/38293/black-footed-penguin-3d-print/

Below is a photo of the 3D printed penguin replica (R) and the original penguin specimen (L):

Staff Engineer
    I'm not entirely sure you can call that a replica... They should have gotten a better resolution monochrome scan and then get a professional to paint the printed result rather than putting three colors on a poor quality scan and printing "in color" with a multi-head extruder.

Actually, it was printed in one color (warm gray, I believe) on a Z18 in two pieces. Assembled, post-processed, and painted by hand by my wife, Adrian Yablin, on commission from Makerbot. She has also assembled, post-processed, and painted by hand, all of the models for Bold Machines, if you've seen that work.

Staff Engineer
    Ah, so the three-color stylized look was intentional rather than trying to look like an exact replica.
    In that case, it looks pretty good, from an artistic standpoint.