Close

Banned

Asda Ready to Role out 3D Printing in 50 Stores

Back in October I saw it was reported, I think here, that ASDA, a Walmart subsidiary in the UK will eventually role out 3D Printing and scanning services within 50 stores across the UK. The service would scan an individual and then 3D Print out a "Mini-Me" model of that person for a fee. Well it appears that Asda is about to start the roll out after one of their test stores was wildly successful. Within a few weeks, people who visit any of the 50 Asda stores within the UK will be able to pay £40 for an 8 inch model of themselves. Here is a video showing how the technology works:

Follow Davo On Twitter Add Davo on Facebook Add Davo on Google+ Add Davo on Shapeways Add Davo on Thingiverse
    That's pretty cool.

Engineer
    I think we will see this business model and variations of it in many stores starting this year. I would be surprised if Walmart Target and the like don't eventually offer 3D Printing services. If not 2014 then in 2015. 3D Printing is the hot trend right now, thus everyone wants to have their hand in the pot somewhat.