Close

Engineer

Adhesive Vinyl for Print bed

Has anyone tried using Adhesive vinyl (like used for printed signage) as a bed material?

Sign vinyl works fine!

Quote Originally Posted by adamfilip View Post
    Has anyone tried using Adhesive vinyl (like used for printed signage) as a bed material?
    Adhesive sign vinyl is not really "vinyl". It is actually PVC. I've just started using it, and it works well with ABS when nothing else (glue stick, hair spray, etc...) worked for me. There are different types, some shiny, some a little dull, different thicknesses, adhesives and quality, so I can't speak for all types. I use Oracal 651 from signwarehouse.com because that is what a friend uses in a vinyl cutter. i haven't tried it cold. With the bed set at 50 - 60 C it has a softer surface feel that ABS likes, as compared to a little harder/slicker when cold. Haven't tried PLA with it. I've never set the bed higher than 60 C degrees with it. Prints will separate with a sharp thin putty knife. It will peel off with some effort when it is scratched enough to need changing. I don't cover the whole bed, just the center area a little larger than what I am printing. WARNING: Burning PVC gives off nasty fumes so be careful experimenting with temperatures. If you know someone who cuts vinyl, ask them for a few feet of "old vinyl" that may be past its useful life, or a color they no longer have a need for. The vinyl doesn't age on the roll, but the adhesive does weaken after a few years. Old vinyl will work the same and is easier to peel off of the bed when you are done with it. Sign vinyl will peel off of a warm bed easier than a cold one.

Engineer-in-Training
    Add Wolfie on Thingiverse
    A word of caution about PVC and heat/flame. PVC releases chlorine when it breaks down from heat. That is a very corosive gas that will affect all the metal parts and electronics in your printer. The chlorine also combines with moisture in the air to form hydrochloric acid. I haven't done any tests to see if any chlorine is released at nominal bed temperatures. Hot ends could get hot enough to cause the PVC to break down and cause the chlorine release.

I know the chance is slim but I just wanted to point out the hazard potential here.