Close

3D Printed Kinetic Sculptures

3D modeler, maker, and tinkerer, Jonathan Brady, created a 3D-printed kinetic sculpture based on his fascination with the inner-workings of an air-cooled Porsche engine. As the viewer turns the crank of this cleverly designed and expertly assembled sculpture, he or she gets a firsthand glimpse of how the interlocking parts of a combustion engine work together to help drive one of the quintessential modern-day expressions of automation, speed and human ingenuity. Brady’s fascinating, small-scale sculpture can be purchased for $325 on his Shapeways page as well as via his website, Brady Kinetic Curiosities, which links to his Etsy shop. For more details, check out: http://3dprint.com/37258/3d-printed-kinetic-sculpture/

Below is a photo of the sculpture:

Technologist
    Add truly_bent on Shapeways
    This is definitely a topic after my own heart. I became so fascinated with Bob Potts' kinetic sculptures that i actually reverse engineered two of them in Solidworks and posted the motion studies as vids on Youtube (Wings a tribute to "Avian Pursuit" and Rowing Machine). The models are available on Shapeways too, but i honestly don't ever expect to see one built. It was just the enjoyment of figuring out how Mr. Potts accomplished his mesmerizing works that was the driving force.