Close

Oh The Irony: Man 3D Prints Kidney for Doctors After He Collases During Presentation

In a truly ironic stroke of fate, John Cousins was giving a presentation about the merits of using 3D printed models to a hospital when he collapsed mid-discussion. Upon being transported to another hospital, Cousins, the managing director of isodo3D was able to 3D print a model of his own kidney for doctors to use during the procedure to remove a large kidney stone. The mode actually helped to speed the procedure along, and acted as a perfect case study for the technology that Cousins had been pitching all along. More details on this rather ironic story can be found here: http://3dprint.com/37203/3d-print-kidney-model/

Below you will find the actual kidney that he 3D printed:

What a marvelous story. I have sent the link to my solicitor here in the UK in the hope he will accept that patient specific printed models from CT scans are not merely 'mock ups' and of 'no diagnostic use' which is what a UK based consultant radiologist, Dr Dominic Barron from Leeds General Infirmary, told him. Perhaps Mr Cousins could educate both my solicitor and Dr Barron.