Close

Technologist

Loose Wooden Build Plate on 10" Prusa i3v

I have the eccentric spacers at the limit of adjustment on the build plate of my 10" Prusa i3v & have noticed the build plate being a little loose. It seems to print ok, but can pick up on one side of it maybe a 1/16" or so. I can see a slight bow in the wood, but seems very small for the amount of play I have. I changed the wooden Y-axis endplate to this part, http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:626576 which I modified from http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:613602 to allow putting the Sorbothane Isolation dampers on that Clough42 came up with. I was half thinking I might be able to put a slotted opening where this attaches to the extrusion for more adjustment, but then it would not be perpendicular to the back connection. I also took the heat bed off to make sure the bolts holding the wheels were on tight enough & they were ok. If I could put eccentric spacers on the other side as well, that might make up the difference, but the drill holes I believe are not the correct size on that side to do that. I wonder if I could make a plastic washer with a large diameter opening on one side for the eccentric spacer & smaller protrusion on the other to go into the wood. I suspect I do not have enough distance to work with there & probably would wear out easily.

Is there another way I can adjust for a tighter fit on the aluminum extrusion?

-David

Technologist
    After looking into this problem further, I noticed the bed was looser when it was towards the front than towards the back. I checked the distance between the aluminum extrusions using a 12" digital caliper & noticed at the back it was 209.38mm & front was 208.87 fron Outside to Outside of Aluminum extrusions. I loosened the screws on the new plastic endplate & pulled the aluminum ends to the outside while tightening the screws & that tightened it up just right. This bed was also loose with the wood endplate, so am not sure that the problem was not there before changing this. I will see how this correction works for awhile, before possibly redoing that endplate design to make it easier to fit.