Close

Administrator
    Follow SarahA On Twitter

Project Bigbronze: Life-Sized Bust Made with bronzeFill

Filaments with real metal in them, like colorFabb's bronzeFill, offer makers the opportunity to create pieces with more heft and a better finished look than basic plastics. Fuel3D recently commissioned Steve Cox, the Education Ambassador CREATE Education at Ultimaker, to use bronzeFill to create a life-sized bust. Stuart Mead, the CEO of Fuel3D, had his head, neck, and shoulders scanned by a Fuel3D scanner. Once the files were rendered, sliced, printed, assembled, and polished, the resulting bust -- weighing in at over 5 pounds -- was unveiled this week at CES. This true-to-life bust is the largest piece colorFabbk knows of created using their bronzeFill filament, and the process and results look quite impressive. Check out details on the aptly named "Project Bigbronze" in the full article: http://3dprint.com/36334/project-bigbronze/

Below is a photo of Steve Cox with the finished bust of Stuart Mead:

Engineer
    That's still roughly around $200 in material for that, correct? Even with the 10% discount. Pretty freaking cool though. Hopefully someday soonish, material's like that will be cheaper.

Staff Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassna View Post
    That's still roughly around $200 in material for that, correct?
    $200 is about two orders of magnitude less expensive than getting a traditionally made life-sized bronze bust commissioned by any decent artist.

... Just to keep things in perspective.

...Yes, I still think $200 is still more than I would spend on that kind of thing.

Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by Feign View Post
    $200 is about two orders of magnitude less expensive than getting a traditionally made life-sized bronze bust commissioned by any decent artist.

... Just to keep things in perspective.

...Yes, I still think $200 is still more than I would spend on that kind of thing.
    Of course, I had thought it would still be considerably cheaper than ordering a Bust like that of yourself through a company. It really is a amazing print. It's almost borderline worth it to post up on my fireplace haha