Close

PLA Welding Finishing Technique

Matthew Griffin knows a couple of things about the people and the techniques needed to take a 3D printed part and make it look like the genuine, finished article. Griffin, the Director of Community Support and Evangelism at Adafruit Industries, has recently posted a comprehensive piece about methods you can use to give your prints the kind of look you want them to have. His techniques are described in full, and they range from PLA welding to using rivets to join multi-piece structures. They also include safety advice, lists of useful tools and very helpful photos to guide your efforts. Check out the full story here: http://3dprint.com/34351/3d-prints-with-pla-welding/

Below is an example of how the welding technique works, thanks to Griffin:

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    is it me or does that picture look particularly like a pair of buttocks with a spinning rod inserted somewhere that would make your eyes water ?

Neat idea though.

But not sure about his job title: 'Director of Community Support and Evangelism'.

I think some of these 3d printing companies have kind of lost the plot.
    Or maybe it's just my english cynicism versus their american over-enthusiasm ?

Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    is it me or does that picture look particularly like a pair of buttocks with a spinning rod inserted somewhere that would make your eyes water ?

Neat idea though.

But not sure about his job title: 'Director of Community Support and Evangelism'.

I think some of these 3d printing companies have kind of lost the plot.
    Or maybe it's just my english cynicism versus their american over-enthusiasm ?
    Oh you, gave me some wrong ideas....

LOL same, appreciate the joke tho.