Close

Combining 3D Printing with Fly Fishing : 3D Printed Reels

Michael Hackney has been diligently working on a new design for a 3D printed fly fishing reel for well over two years now. Hackney recently completed a new design that incorporates his criteria, including a nice design, low and easy-to-print (with PLA) part count, a click check, and compatibility with modern fly fishing seats. He has gone through two phases of prototype development, and his latest has been tested. Like fly fishing itself, Hackney's pursuit of the perfect 3D printed reel is never ending, and we look forward to his next update. Check out more details on this project: http://3dprint.com/32932/3d-printed-fly-fishing-reel/

Below is the design of the current fly fishing reel (version 5):

Hey Brian, a reader forwarded me the post you made yesterday on my 3D printed fly fishing reel. It's been getting a lot of interest since I posted on my blog. I've been working on a new technique to create an engraving-like design on the reel back frame. I'll try to take some good photos and post them.

Cheers,
    Michael

Staff Engineer
    As I was suggesting in another thread, why don't you modify this to create a tangle-free filament holder for 3D printers? (It looks promising, but lacks the guide mechanism that ensures that the string lays down smoothly, which most reels have). Tangled filament is one of the biggest causes of printing failure on the low-end FFF machines, but nobody seems to have done anything about it.

Andrew Werby
    www.computersculpture.com

Andrew, I'm not sure what you mean by tangle free filament holder? I don't have a problem with any of my printers (all deltas - 2 Rostocks, 2 mini Kossels). Happy to help out if there is a problem to solve!