Close

Constructing Enormous Structures in Space Via 3D Printing and the Trusselator

The Trusselator is part of a group of ideas Tethers Unlimited is developing under the umbrella of their SpiderFab project, a plan to fabricate spacecraft components too large to pack in a launch vehicle. The architecture of the project integrates elements of 3D printing, automated composite layup and robotic assembly to build large, lightweight structures to support solar cells and reflectors, and Dr. Robert Hoyt says various elements will be used to create antennas and solar arrays the size of a sports stadium. You can read more about the details of the company and the Trusselator here: http://3dprint.com/31075/tethers-unlimited-trusselator/

Below is a look at the Trusselator:

Staff Engineer
    This is absolutely beautiful, from the name of the thing to the cheesy video to the stuck-in-the-90s website, it's like it's trying as hard as it can to not be taken seriously... But then the core concept is so awesome that you have to take it seriously anyway.

Engineer-in-Training
    I like the idea, but that truss build demo could easily be a sleight of hand. If it's real, I imagine there are legit concerns to not show how it's made, but I wouldn't buy it from that video.