Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Xbox Kinnect as a 3D Scanner?

A buddy of mine said that he knew someone that made 3D Scans using his Xbox Kinnect. He then cleaned the scans up a bit and printed things. Is this really possible to do or is this guy totally pulling my leg?

If it's possible, does anyone care to explain how it could be done?

Super Moderator
    Yes, it's possible to use a Kinect camera as a 3D scanner.

There's an instructable on how to do it.

Thanks! This was exactly what I was looking for!

Actually you can scan yourself using Kinect and then print yourself out using https://www.shapify.me.

Pretty cool concept. Especially if you don't have your own 3d Printer at home.

Currently i'm using the Asus Xlite pro cam to do human recordings, this purly due the fact that the Kinect motion scanners have a minium range of 1 meter (the Asus has 0.8 meters as minium). The resolution of both scanners are the same and if you don't have a huge room to make the scan then the asus is an ideal solution. (bought the Asus for around 140 euro's, though I don't know the price of Kinect currently).

Other objects side's human (shapes) are large objects, like chairs and desks. Smaller objects are almost undoable (like a remote controle).

I've tried using the Kinect as a scanner, and the results were pretty terrible. It's something that you can do for fun in your spare time, but the results aren't anything spectacular. I'd suggest grabbing a Sense scanner if you are serious about making 3D scans.
    Jan

Staff Engineer
    Got a Kinect at a secondhand store for $60 on a whim yesterday (I hadn't even researched the software needed to do scans with it). About four hours later I was scanning random household objects... Kind of. It's very hard to get the tracking to go smoothly, though this may be my computer's processing power and the fact that I've not been home in daylight since buying it to get a good well lit room for scanning.

Staff Engineer
    Lighting is a bit tricky; these sensors don't work well at all in direct sunlight. I think it interferes with their IR depth perception. Open shade seems to be okay, though.

Andrew Werby
    www.computersculpture.com

Yep I picked up a second hand Kinect and spent a whole weekend uninstalling and reinstalling drivers and different trial software - nothing out there does it well for free, the $200 "ReConstruct Me" does a good job with faces, but that's the only success I got, I returned it.

I've been really impressed with Autodesk 123D Catch anytime I want to digitize an object.

Staff Engineer
    I had my best results scanning with a Primesense sensor when using the (pro version of) Skanect software: http://skanect.manctl.com/ ReconstructMe didn't work at all for me, for some reason.

Andrew Werby
    www.computersculpture.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast