Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Reflections on the Hostage situation in Sydney Australia

The hostage situation that occurred in a coffee shop in the CBD of Sydney, Australia has created a lot of thought here and around the world.

I've penned my reflections on the incident in an attempt to give a view of the broader picture to those of you in Europe and the Americas who may not have had much interaction with the real Australian culture.

We are cosmopolitan people, not beer swilling, kangaroo roping rednecks bereft of any cultural refinement. We are smart, resourceful and true to our friends and neighbors. We seek peace and will put ourselves in danger to help others gain it.

Please read what I have written. Please circulate it amongst your friends and colleagues. Maybe you will think more of Australia than the "Down Under " place with sun, sand and prawns on the barby.

The Lindt Coffee Shop Incident:

Lindt Coffee Shop.txt

Old Man Emu
    Last edited by old man emu; 12-17-2014 at 04:46 AM.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    read the text - yep makes sense.

Although australia's current laws regarding imigrants are also some of the strictest in the world. Hell people are even rejected if they weigh too much. So while you might believe you're the world's peacekeepers - no worries - you're defintiely not welcoming to people fleeing prosecution.

And that's not a bad thing.
    The uk is the target of just about every bloody refugee that makes the europaen mainland. We're dumb enough to give them housing & money & medical care.
    It's why they cross germany, france, holland, spain etc just to get to the uk.

At least with australia you're far enough away from other countries that you don't get that many trying to get to you. :-)

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    We are cosmopolitan people, not beer swilling, kangaroo roping rednecks bereft of any cultural refinement. We are smart, resourceful and true to our friends and neighbors. We seek peace and will put ourselves in danger to help others gain it.
    Speak for yourself! (all except for the Kangaroo roping part, I find it easier to just to accelerate and knock them over..)

No but in all seriousness, this was a pretty bad day for Australia.. we don't get these sorts of things very often. Let's just hope it acts to change some of our current bail laws. This man should not have been walking free - I dare say there will now be a substantial inquiry as to how that even came to be in the first place.
    Hex3D - 3D Printing and Design http://www.hex3d.com

Well, Britain decided to join the EU for economic reasons and abandon the Commonwealth, so it opened its doors to EU policy - open borders. Sow the wind and reap the whirlwind.

Australia is a self-governing nation. Its parliaments make all the decisions for its governance and international relations. We are unique in that we have chosen to have our Head of State reside of shore. Our Head of State just happens to wear another hat at the same time, but at least it is still a Head of State job. Having a Head of State coming from a long time tradition of leadership save us from the embarrassment of having self-serving politicians make the selection of a Head of State such a murky thing. Look at the USA. The position of Head of State is bought and, having been bought, loses its ability to unite the Nation. Once elected, the US President becomes an assassination target for the other side of politics. And don't forget. Our Head of State is not the King/Queen of England. Our Head of State is the King/Queen of Australia. Big point to be aware of. Is it so bad that we avail ourselves of a thousand years of governance which were the foetus of our way of running our society?

Geoff,
    The great thing about our country is that we hold dear the preservation of personal liberty. Our Bail laws have been framed in such a way to ensure that no person is deprived of Freedom as a result of a completed crime until guilt has been proven in a Court. No part of the legal system can foresee the future to tell if a person will commit offences in the future. Our hope is that conditions placed on the person as part of the bail determination will prevent further crimes. In the case of this sociopath, he was convicted of a crime which did not involve actual violence. At that time, his background suggested that he was "all talk and no action". How was the legal system to know that following his conviction he would commit indecent assaults? What were the indicators back then that he would arm himself and take hostages?

We all benefit from our current bail laws. I can remember when I was in my early 20s and mixing with blokes who liked to have a drink on Friday nights. Before the night started we all contributed to a pot of $100 which was to be used to pay bail if one of us was arrested for drink driving. It was a case of over the limit + no money for bail = night in the cells. Do you want to go back to that?

OME

Quote Originally Posted by old man emu View Post
    In any other country with less strict firearm laws, a person such as him would have been armed to the teeth with high powered semi-automatic weapons with large capacity magazines. It would also be likely that such a person would be in possession of explosives. Fulfilling either situation was impossible for this man. He did not have access to wither.
    In Texas, somebody in that coffee shop would have had a Concealed Carry License. This wouldn't have turned into a hostage situation.

Senior Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by Roxy View Post
    In Texas, somebody in that coffee shop would have had a Concealed Carry License. This wouldn't have turned into a hostage situation.
    Gunfight at the OK corral situation?

In AZ you don't need a license to carry concealed any more. So everyone has one. Something to think about before you are road raging, or running your mouth.

Suprisingly little to no gun fights with all these guns.

And yes, it's the wild west.

Question:

Have any of you who advocate the carriage of firearms in public had to discharge a firearm while under stress and been able to place your rounds as accurately as you did on the training range?

Question:

In a place where there are no restrictions on the type and number of firearms a person can have, either legally or illegally, would a nutter like ours have gone into a situation armed only with a two shot weapon? Not on your Nellie. He'd have been armed to the teeth with an array of the most destructive weapons made.

Question:

How do you manage to go about your business while carrying a concealable firearm and not have your pants fall down? I used to spend half my day hitching up my trousers when I was required to carry a S&W 38 and later a Glock 9mm.

OME

Quote Originally Posted by old man emu View Post
    Question:

How do you manage to go about your business while carrying a concealable firearm and not have your pants fall down? I used to spend half my day hitching up my trousers when I was required to carry a S&W 38 and later a Glock 9mm.
    This is small enough that weight is not an issue:

naa-22lr.jpg

I agree that it is a very pretty object, but apart from that I don't see it as being a daily necessity.

BgHurt said: "In AZ you don't need a license to carry concealed any more. So everyone has one. Something to think about before you are road raging, or running your mouth. Suprisingly little to no gun fights with all these guns."

In Australia you don't need to carry a gun. Sure, we have road rage incidents which end in knifings, but the offender usually comes with a background in a knife culture. An Australian who would road rage or shoot off at the mouth is more likely to use fists and feet, and be under the influence if ICE for which we can thank the CIA during the Vietnam war.

So where's the answers to my other two questions?

OME

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast