Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned

Question about i3v dual extruder e-steps.

Hello!

Over the weekend I added another extruder to my Markerfarm 10’’ i3v. I’m using a Bulldog lite and a Greg's extruder. I know how to change the e-steps, but I cannot find any information on how to set two different values for each extruder. The bulldog extrudes way too much.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Add gmay3 on Thingiverse
    For full disclosure, I don't have any experience with dual extruders or the bulldog lite but I'll try to help!

I believe there is a section in the marlin firmware that you have to modify to allow you to use dual extruders. It's likely that from the LCD unless you changed something, you would not be able to change the second extruder's esteps. I think you should take a look through the marlin firmware for a second esteps setting.

Bulldog LITE:
    #define DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT {XX,YY,ZZ,107}
    #define DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT {XX,YY,ZZ,90}
    I have seen most people start at 100 and go from there.
    If you are doing it in the firmware. Then tune it from there.
    Or you can do it live with teh commands bellow

M92 E100 ; calibrate E
    M500 ; Save to EEPROM

Then test and change as needed. Example is basicly remove the hotend. mark 100mm on the filament. Extrude 100mm in steps at 100 setting and adjust the setting based on how close you get to the actual amount that goes through the extruder.

Add printbus on Thingiverse
    Confirming my suspicion, there's apparently not a way in Marlin to do this - https://github.com/ErikZalm/Marlin/issues/540.

Quote Originally Posted by printbus View Post
    Confirming my suspicion, there's apparently not a way in Marlin to do this - https://github.com/ErikZalm/Marlin/issues/540.
    The only way I have seen it done is using the multiplier for the amount to be extruded. Though I have only seen 2 dual extruder setups so far and both we tuned to be as exactly a like as possible. Same volt amps to motors same extruder and heater and temp sensor and so on.

Add gmay3 on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by bstag View Post
    The only way I have seen it done is using the multiplier for the amount to be extruded.
    For further detail, these extrusion multiplier settings can be found in slic3r (and maybe other slicing programs). Here's a useful calibration object for adjusting the extrusion multiplier in slic3r.

http://3dprintboard.com/showthread.p...ll=1#post20845

Add printbus on Thingiverse
    But can you specify a different extrusion multiplier for each filament? (away from the slicer computer so I can't check) I don't recall that.

Add gmay3 on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by printbus View Post
    But can you specify a different extrusion multiplier for each filament? (away from the slicer computer so I can't check) I don't recall that.
    That's a good point, if it's not in marlin than I actually don't know if there is a second extrusion multiplier option in slic3r.

I believe thats why all the dual extruder setups you see are duplicates of each other... Ive never seen dual extruders with different extruders.

There aould have a to a fundemental change in the gcode to make different extruders work for dual extrusion.

In slicer sure you have a config file for each extruder. In the firmware I doubt it. I never really think about stand alone mode since most of my 3d printers are connected to a beagle bone black and octoprint or directly connected to a normal machine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast