Close

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

i3v 12" build log

So got in my giant box o stuff today :-)

Considering that i was working around a 20 month old. I managed to get through the y bed completed. I realize its not much but overall not bad considering the circumstances. He wants to help so bad he just know what i am asking for when i ask for it... :-D

Quick pic the parts are back in the box and out of reasonable reach from him. Hoping to get a couple more parts together tomorrow after work.

After the general assembly (before extrusions are placed)i am thinking i am going to clear the individual pieces... Or i i will pull it apart in late spring/early summer and paint it properly. Time will tell.

Engineer
    If you decide to paint it, do it before assembly, even before you clean out the holes of the scrap wood. If you get too much paint in the holes, it can make assembly more difficult. I learned the hard way on the i3. When I upgraded to i3v, I left the wood as untouched as possible until after it was painted.

A little late then... I dont have a warm enough place to paint and not doing it in the house and im not waiting for it to warm up :-P I have ideas for getting around that problem later without needing to drill out the holes after the fact.

I too am thinking of doing some paint or stain in the spring. It is far too cold for painting now in western NY and there is no way I'm waiting that long!

Painters tape and q-tips for the holes should do the trick in the spring

Technician
    hi guys .i just got my i3v 12" this friday and during the build i have noticed that one of the stepper motor (Z-axis in my case) can`t be moved by hand, even with force... this is my first printer so i dont know if this is normal or i just got a bad motor .

ill appreciate any help

thanks

Welcome to the Board.
    When you say cant move is that with power on or with the motor powered off. If power off it should move.

Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by beerdart View Post
    Welcome to the Board.
    When you say cant move is that with power on or with the motor powered off. If power off it should move.
    without power . i haven't got to the electronics yet .
    Last edited by pichuete; 12-14-2014 at 12:02 AM.

So build update of sorts.

I have been working on the build for the last 2 nights, after working 12's. I am down to electronics and extruder. Probably a few hours tomorrow will get it finished if i can get the kids to leave me alone :-P no pictures been too focussed on getting ti built while the kids were away and too tired to think about it after the fact :-)

I'll hopefully get it's new home cleaned up and it placed this evening with a pic or two. :-)

I will say that when putting together the large "deluxe" display that the holes really didn't line up at all, and the housing doesnt take have cutouts for the solder pins. for me at least there is slight stress on the board due to the 16mm bolts not being quite long enough as well. I think my first design improvement for the printer will be fixing that.

Quote Originally Posted by sniffle View Post
    So build update of sorts.

I have been working on the build for the last 2 nights, after working 12's. I am down to electronics and extruder. Probably a few hours tomorrow will get it finished if i can get the kids to leave me alone :-P no pictures been too focussed on getting ti built while the kids were away and too tired to think about it after the fact :-)

I'll hopefully get it's new home cleaned up and it placed this evening with a pic or two. :-)

I will say that when putting together the large "deluxe" display that the holes really didn't line up at all, and the housing doesnt take have cutouts for the solder pins. for me at least there is slight stress on the board due to the 16mm bolts not being quite long enough as well. I think my first design improvement for the printer will be fixing that.
    I ran into the same issue with the LCD adapter over the weekend. I ended having to enlarge a couple of holes on the white controller board just to get the bolts to fit through. I also used some of the longer bolts as I thought there was too much stress on the board as well.

Not sure if you gotten this far or not, but another issue I had was with mounting the Rambo and the heat bed relay. The edge wooden plate that the rambo board mounts on, once mounted to the frame, comes right next to the holes to mount the relay. It was so close that the edge pcb of the relay would hit the bottom lip of the rambo's wooden frame. I took a look at the build video up close and noticed the bottom edge of my wooden plate was shaped differently compared to the one in the video. I didn't want to cut the wooden frame as I already had it painted so I created some spacers and used those to mount the relay. I would be interested to know if you found a better way to handle this.
    Last edited by razer1141; 12-15-2014 at 09:24 AM.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast