Close

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Hey Printbus! Just wanted to say a quick thank you for documenting and publishing your research! Amazing work, reads like an academic paper in a peer reviewed journal, and some of my friend's dissertations weren't as thoroughly written So thank you and hope you continue your experiments!

Add printbus on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by squirrel View Post
    Hey Printbus! Just wanted to say a quick thank you for documenting and publishing your research! Amazing work, reads like an academic paper in a peer reviewed journal, and some of my friend's dissertations weren't as thoroughly written So thank you and hope you continue your experiments!
    Thanks for the feedback. Feel free to post an update when you are ready that summarizes where the thread led you to make changes that worked for you, etc.

Ah well i can try! Only had the i3 since start of january, got it as a kit and built it myself. Was rather confused by it all at first, particularly the marlin settings. Found a lot of examples settings online but no explanation as to why they should be those values so found your write ups extremely useful.

So using your values as a proven baseline i did some experimenting although i was never great at experimental write ups... So ill go through the settings and try to explain how i arrived at the values.

HOMING_FEEDRATE - I've kept same as your settings recap post

DEFAULT_MAX_FEEDRATE {400, 400, 2, 200} I know the x and y speed seems excessive but i haven't noticed any skipping. I know you've done the math but I'm a rebel I also have a direct drive extruder which seems to be pretty strong and i haven't had any skipping or grinding issues at this speed either. Although I don't print at over 90mm/s, with travel moves set at 250mm/s.

DEFAULT_MAX_ACCELERATION {6000,4500,400,500} I've experimented with different acceleration settings to try to deal with ringing (ripples) and found that for me, higher max acceleration combined with higher default acceleration made the ripples less noticeable. Or at least it seems that way. Y acceleration is set lower than x as the print bed is 6mm aluminium with a glass plate and seemed like a good idea to have it set lower.
    DEFAULT_ACCELERATION 2000 Set any higher and y starts to skip steps, on travel moves i think, as they're the fastest.
    DEFAULT_RETRACT_ACCELERATION 1000
    DEFAULT_XYJERK 30
    DEFAULT_ZJERK 10
    DEFAULT_EJERK 10

I haven't done any proper experimenting to try to figure out what affects ringing, but turning acceleration up seemed to have worked some for me. Im printing out an adjustable x belt tensioner so i can easily adjust the belt to see how it affects the ripples. I feel like the key is figuring out a balance between print speed, default acceleration and jerk settings. What annoys me the most aren't the ripples but intact corners,slightly protruding, as if the filament kept flowing in one direction as the print path turned 90 degrees. Turning down the jerk settings leaves the corners less sharp, the only other options seems like printing slower so will try that next.

Add printbus on Thingiverse
    Thanks for contributing! With so many combinations now of printer sizes and types of electronics in the MakerFarm printers, it may be getting tough to compare results from one printer to another.

Quote Originally Posted by squirrel View Post
    ...DEFAULT_MAX_FEEDRATE {400, 400, 2, 200} I know the x and y speed seems excessive but i haven't noticed any skipping. I know you've done the math but I'm a rebel I also have a direct drive extruder which seems to be pretty strong and i haven't had any skipping or grinding issues at this speed either. Although I don't print at over 90mm/s, with travel moves set at 250mm/s.
    Have you looked at the gcode in a viewer like gcode.ws? I'd be curious to know what the highest speed is that you see in the gcode viewer for any sort of path. If I understand you correctly, you're likely not buying anything with the 400 values for XY in DEFAULT_MAX_FEEDRATE. The slicer will be keeping it lower than that for the 90mm/sec print speed and 250mm/sec move speeds.

DEFAULT_MAX_ACCELERATION {
    6000,4500,400,500} I've experimented with different acceleration settings to try to deal with ringing (ripples) and found that for me, higher max acceleration combined with higher default acceleration made the ripples less noticeable. Or at least it seems that way. Y acceleration is set lower than x as the print bed is 6mm aluminium with a glass plate and seemed like a good idea to have it set lower.
    You've touched on something I've been wondering about. Almost all the non-MakerFarm printers I've read about use pretty high acceleration rates. I know in my ripple testing I also noticed that the ripple effect was less noticeable with a higher acceleration value. This made sense in a way since faster acceleration might cause the printer to pass-through whatever the root ripple issue is quicker. People always talk about slowing down acceleration as a way to reduce the ripple. I've been wondering what the results would be if we went the other way and really, really cranked it up. As long as print quality meets expectations, go for it.

DEFAULT_ACCELERATION 2000 Set any higher and y starts to skip steps, on travel moves i think, as they're the fastest.
    Note that because of the multiple ways Marlin allows acceleration to be set, this value of 2000 is actually limiting your values for XY in DEFAULT_MAX_ACCELERATION. They work together in a "whichever is lower takes precedence" relationship. Setting it to 2000 is still significant compared to the original MakerFarm settings.

Ah, well, i don't have a MakerFarm i3. Its a Schufco kit and as far as component quality goes I've been very happy with it all and generally had a trouble free experience.

I haven't used a gcode viewer other than the one in repetier host but what you're saying about slicer limiting speeds definitely makes sense. And the same goes for DEFAULT_ACCELERATION values, I've noticed that cranking it up really affects the travel movements where as turning down max acceleration didn't seem to make a difference... The way i thought of it is that the default acceleration is the minimum acceleration and max is maximum.

So think what i will try next is maybe decreasing the travel speed but increasing acceleration so that the travel moves are a bit slower at faster acceleration setting. Set at 4000, some of the travel moves are almost too fast for the eye to follow but the y motor skipped once. In my limited experience there has been a few counter intuitive setting/effect relationships so i wouldn't be surprised if acceleration vs ripples is another one .

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456