Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The Digitizer - 3D Scanner By Makerbot

Is anyone planning on ordering this new 3D scanner from Makerbot?

http://store.makerbot.com/digitizer.html

$1,400 isn't cheap, but after watching the video you know this thing is quality, albeit just 8 inches tall. Not too sure how practical this is yet, beside for people who just want to have fun.

Engineer
    I've heard nothing but awesome things about this scanner. MakerBot really knows what they are doing, and this scanner is supposed to be insanely awesome!

Engineer-in-Training MysteryAlabaster's Avatar
    Follow MysteryAlabaster On Twitter
    I have yet to get my hands on one, but hopefully we can convince the Administration to allow us the money to buy one so we can teach a few classes on how this thing works.

And obviously faff about with it, I mean, how could you not?

LOL. I would try convincing them too. Maybe throw in there that you could make copies of certain items needed by the school, and in the process save them money.

The 3D Printer and Scanner combo will really put some worry into patent holders, that's for sure. What's to stop anyone from copying items that manufacturers have patented? Pretty much nothing

Engineer-in-Training MysteryAlabaster's Avatar
    Follow MysteryAlabaster On Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Riskerbus View Post
    What's to stop anyone from copying items that manufacturers have patented? Pretty much nothing
    While usually I don't have that much faith in humanity as a whole, I think that just this once, we might be able to trust the populace not to take it that far.

Personally, I would be using it to make models of household items just for fun. It's really not that practical because it can only scan such small things. I think that when we are able to scan things that are a few feet tall, and equally as long and wide, then we might have a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by MysteryAlabaster View Post
    While usually I don't have that much faith in humanity as a whole, I think that just this once, we might be able to trust the populace not to take it that far..
    Unfortunately I can't agree with this. Everyone is out to make money now a days. It might not be the case for the main populace in the 3D printing industry, but once the greedy businessmen get wind of how much money can be made by copying objects and reprinting them, there will be a lot of issues unfortunately.

Engineer
    you know i havent seen this in person or tried it at all but people seem to be scanning all sorts of stuff and posting it on thingiverse and the models i am seeing from the originals are absolutely horrible. i am not impressed at all. maybe its just user error. who knows. im not saying its not any good since i dont have any practical experience with it and that would be unfair. its just what i have seen. from the business side of things i have to agree with ronny. its not about quality or how big the company is....its marketing!

I do have one of these, we ordered it on launch day and got it about a week ago. I've been playing with it and so far having mixed results, I think we have to get the lighting just right. Much like our replicator 2x, it seems to require some monkeying around.

Banned
    Nice, Keep us posted on how things go. Maybe some pictures of some printed items you have scanned along with the originals. That would be awesome. I am considering laying down the $1500 for this thing but want to make sure its quality first. Maybe best to wait for the second version....

Well i would rather wait for it to become cheaper, aka other brands making it with a reasonable consumer price,
    Imo a 3D scanner shouldnt be more then 300 dollars or integrated into the printer itself.

Oh well with Makerbot you should atleast know it would work decently.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast