Close

Follow Eddie On Twitter Add Eddie on Facebook Add Eddie on Google+ Add Eddie on Shapeways Add Eddie on Thingiverse

Yet another 3D Printed Hand for a Girl by Students

Remember hearing about the 3D Printed hand that a father made for his son? Well, it looks like the idea has caught on quite well. A group of teenagers have made a hand for a 4 year old girl. I love seeing stories like this.

A group of high school students in Michigan gave a 4-year-old girl the gift of a lifetime yesterday.The robotics team from West Catholic High School presented little Harmony Taylor with the right hand she never had, after the teenagers spent six weeks to build the hand from a 3D printing device that was donated to their school.
    Harmony was born with "limb differences", which caused the fingers on her right hand to never develop.
    Mary Free Bed Rehabilitation Center in Michigan also played a role in the creation of the hand, Monica Scott of MLive reports, helping the family connect with the school when insurance wouldn't cover all of Harmony's needs.
    West Catholic students Tim Liu, 18, and Aimee Kalczuk, 17, presented the device to little Harmony and her family yesterday. The device is a plastic cuff that fits snugly on the girl's hand, with prosthetic fingers attached.
    "It is so great to be able do something that can change her life," Liu told Scott. The team spent about two hours in the evenings once a week to complete the project.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/littl...#ixzz2o1tMWYGF

I love seeing these stories as well. I would think someone would have come up with a more realistic looking hand by now. I wouldn't think it would be all that hard to do.