Close

Page 2 of 48 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by TechMasterJoe View Post
    What would you want in a hardware kit for the extruder? answers

• Screws, bearings, pulleys, belts, springs and insulating tape (of course) = YES to all of that
    • Hobbed bolts? = YES
    • Hot ends? = NO but if talks with Colin go well, having an option to buy 1 or 2 heads might be cool
    • Motors? = Maybe but not really right off the bat
    • Z probe servo? = maybe but we can do that for now
    • Fans? = Yes

<snip>

if talks with colin work out hve it as an option like a drop down list check boxes,
    with info on the page about whats parts are need for witch models.

most people with 3dprinters (except makerbot owners) have good Google skills and can source the bigger stuff.
    Thanks. I think the small hardware is the real killer because you have to order so many small quantities of various bits from all over.

Technologist
    Quote Originally Posted by clough42 View Post
    Thanks. I think the small hardware is the real killer because you have to order so many small quantities of various bits from all over.
    I have a McFadden-dale hardware less then 300 yards from my front door so I don't really need a kit anyone that's been to one knows just how much that place rocks. Tack that on to the fact McMaster Carr's warehouse is 1.4 miles away from my shop. I'm set I can get anything fast. If you need any special part's made for a design pm me I own a machine shop both a real shop and one at home with 26 cnc's in all.

After I get the 12" i3v I might ask Colin if he wants to make a metal ver or if he is OK with me selling a metal frame upgrade I got a OMAX 80X water jet that I don't really use much

I will be producing hotends a little bit like the hexagon with electropolished nozzles soon..running small batch at my costs I think, I can make them for under 20$ my cost so a retail around 30$ complete.
    I plan on making the nozzle and the heat break one solid piece of stainless steel and including 4 of them in 3 sizes (.3 for 1.75, .4 for 1.75, .4 for 3.0, .5 for 3.0) by making it a single piece the hotend will work with both 1.75 and 3.0 by just changing the heat brake/nozzle

Okay...I just placed orders for parts.

I'll be offering a hardware kit with the screws, nuts, washers, pulleys, belts, bearings, springs and fiberglass for the insulator. It will take a couple of weeks for everything to arrive, and I'll be able to post final pricing. Right now, it's looking like it'll be somewhere in the neighborhood of $25 shipped in the US.

Engineer-in-Training TopJimmyCooks's Avatar
    I'm sorry I missed the hardware kit. I have been printing parts and accumulating stuff over the last few weeks and I just ordered the few remaining bolts from Mr. metric. I've got HIPS and PVA coming to use to try dissolvable support. I'm looking forward to running this. Thanks for the hard work on the design. Looking at the printed parts, it's intriguing how tiny (itty bitty) everything is. I actually double checked once to make sure I hadn't mistakenly applied scaling during slicing of the idler blocks.

I hate it when people ask for updates on something that just came out - However, something to consider for the future: A lot of the flexible and exotic filament users are recommending PTFE liners in the extruders. In the extruder block you have a longer filament pathway than many greg's type designs. Doing a version with a wider filament pathway and a little retainer shelf at the bottom for that might be something to look at later. If it's found to be needed. I don't know if any the flexible filaments can print into useful parts like washers, light duty valve seats, gaskets, grommets, etc. But if they do I will be using them.

Engineer-in-Training TopJimmyCooks's Avatar
    Also, for those who didn't notice in the pics - Hexagons have started shipping with a molded silicone insulating jacket for the heater blocks which is a very nice feature that hasn't shown up on other hotends so far.

Technologist
    Quote Originally Posted by clough42 View Post
    Okay...I just placed orders for parts.

I'll be offering a hardware kit with the screws, nuts, washers, pulleys, belts, bearings, springs and fiberglass for the insulator. It will take a couple of weeks for everything to arrive, and I'll be able to post final pricing. Right now, it's looking like it'll be somewhere in the neighborhood of $25 shipped in the US.
    You can count me in for one.

Quote Originally Posted by TopJimmyCooks View Post
    I hate it when people ask for updates on something that just came out - However, something to consider for the future: A lot of the flexible and exotic filament users are recommending PTFE liners in the extruders. In the extruder block you have a longer filament pathway than many greg's type designs. Doing a version with a wider filament pathway and a little retainer shelf at the bottom for that might be something to look at later. If it's found to be needed. I don't know if any the flexible filaments can print into useful parts like washers, light duty valve seats, gaskets, grommets, etc. But if they do I will be using them.
    Don't worry. It's just a part of the development process. Every design undergoes (or should undergo) iteration after first contact with users. I'm already planning on doing a flexible filament version with PTFE liners and perhaps a simplified version with just the extruder for people who want to try other hot ends or don't want to deal with all the options.

Quote Originally Posted by TopJimmyCooks View Post
    Also, for those who didn't notice in the pics - Hexagons have started shipping with a molded silicone insulating jacket for the heater blocks which is a very nice feature that hasn't shown up on other hotends so far.
    Yeah--and they also come with both 40mm and 25mm fans now. The insulator is nice, once it stops stinking. My first 8-hour print at 250C was pretty smelly. After that, I don't notice it any more.

Does anyone know what the insulator is made from and what temperatures are safe?

Technologist
    you can count me in for one just to help support the project.
    Plus i had only planed to print the single hotend.
    now i think i will setup dual. i have never really seen a real
    reason outside of things like PVA support or printing 2 objects in two separate colors
    yet i can't see a reason to care i have never really cared about color as much as print quality
    and dual heads always seams to lead to problems with the ones at the school
    (i took one nozzle off to fix a 2nd nozzle object crash at high Z on the schools Airwolf HDX2)

Is it just me or is reprapdiscount.com down completely today
    Last edited by TechMasterJoe; 12-01-2014 at 01:22 PM.

Engineer-in-Training
    Do you have a weight of that whole setup? I designed a belted dual extruder earlier this fall and wanted to do NEMA 14s, but a slim NEMA 17 had better torque and lower weight than all the NEMA 14s that I could find. I can still easily alter it to support 14s though.

I do think going with a belt drive is a winner.

Also: I found SDP/SI to be a handy source for belts & pulleys.
    Last edited by JRDM; 12-01-2014 at 02:28 PM.

Page 2 of 48 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast