Close

Delta 3D Printing wafer like prints?

Hey Guys,

I'm new to this forum so apologizes if this is posted under the wrong form but i have just finished building my first delta 3d printer and have been having some issues with the filament.

it seams like ether the filament is not coming out evenly or it is not sticking to the other layers properly, i have attached a photo bellow. My extrude is 235 degrees and my heat bed is at 110 degrees.

if someone could point me in the right direction that would be great!

10818600_10154859484585585_1781300581_n.jpg10808219_10154859484680585_1507896370_n.jpg

I am just beginning myself. But I assume you are using ABS because of the heated bed and high extruder temperature. That would not be needed for PLA. It could also be that your filament has absolved water. But I do not believe that is a problem with ABS

Your right I'm using abs and I'm starting to think that switching to PLA might be a better option. It also crossed my mind that the ABS absorbed some water however its a brand new spool so I thought the chances weren't very likely.

Could it be to due to my extruder filament settings in slic3r?

Technologist
    Check your e-steps. It looks like you may be under-extruding. This could also be caused by your extruder skipping. PLA is normally the material with the reputation for absorbing water. I've never had a problem with ABS and live in a tropical environment.

Hi Kdog, could you elaborate a bit more on the esteps and any recommendations on how I check if my extruder is skipping?

Thats pleasing to hear about the absorption as I also live in the tropics and thought maybe it was the humidity but guess I can rule that out

Technologist
    There are any number of web pages that demonstrate how to calibrate your extruder. Basically you will be heating everything up, making a mark on your filament 100mm up from the entrance to your extruder and then extruding 100mm using your control software. You'll measure how much actually extruded by measuring the mark on the filament and adjusting your e-steps until the amount you tell it to extrude equals the amount actually extruded. esteps can be adjusted by sending g-code commands. You don't have to reflash your firmware.

Here is a link to one set of videos: http://zennmaster.com/makingstuff/re...part-1-e-steps There are many more out there and maybe other folks will chime in with their favorites. It has been a long time since I learned how to do this so many more examples now.

BTW, if you haven't already, you should check your x,y and z calibrations as well. This is much different on a delta than on a cartesian bot. Google it and you will have plenty of examples to use.

You can actually hear your extruder skipping. It sounds like clicks and if you look close you will see the stepper kind of stopping and starting. Usually the print fails before completion when this is happening so maybe this isn't what is going on with yours.

Cheers,

KDog

Thanks heaps for all that info KDog! will defiantly try fixing up my esteps and calibrations over the weekend! will keep posted with the results, i might also buy a spool of PLA just to have on hand as it's starting to sounds way easier to print haha.

Did you end up fixing the issue? I'm guessing from the lack of follow up everything went well

Haha funny that you should comment I was just thinking today that I should follow up with an update.

So I did fix the warps in my layer but further reducing my z tip and turned down my layer hights. I can now print fairly accurate and clean prints but now faced with a new problem with the topside of my prints. Rather than having a smooth finish on the top its practically open so you can see the infill of the print. I have tried to turn up the top fill amount but still no luck. Can post some detailed picks tomorrow.